Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference

29 Jul 2015

See also: IRC log


Janina, Michiel_Bijl, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, Gottfried, JamesN, Rich, Katie, Haritos-Shea, Fred, fesch


<trackbot> Date: 29 July 2015

<scribe> scribe: Rich

preview agenda with items from two minutes

janina: Michiell Bell is joining us for the first time in this meeting

jmd: I work for Igalia and I am the Orca screen reader maintainer and developer as well as an aria spec. co-editor

gottfried: I am at stuttgart university. I work on the universal remote console and the GPII

Ryladog: I am Katie Harito-Shea. I am getting geared up at PF.

Michiel: I work fo lechine in the Netherlands and want to contribute to ARIA

Actions Review (Specs) http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/open

<MichielBijl> Lukkien*

Michael: action 1665 tracking compliance and scope

janina: not yet

<MichaelC> action-1685 due 15 aug

<trackbot> Set action-1685 Manage review of http://www.w3.org/tr/2015/wd-tracking-compliance-20150714/ tracking compliance and scope (note explicit review request needs response) due date to 2015-08-15.

janina: advance the due date to August 15

Michael: James, Cynthia, and me to review the CSS interface module

<MichaelC> action-1669 due 2 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-1669 Look at data on the web best practices http://www.w3.org/tr/dwbp/ due date to 2015-08-12.

Katie: can we split … this out for the next 2 weeks - action 1669

action 1654



<trackbot> action-1654 -- Gottfried Zimmermann to Take preliminary look at discovery & registration of multimodal modality components: state handling http://www.w3.org/tr/mmi-mc-discovery/ -- due 2015-07-08 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1654

<MichaelC> action-1654 due 30 aug

<trackbot> Set action-1654 Take preliminary look at discovery & registration of multimodal modality components: state handling http://www.w3.org/tr/mmi-mc-discovery/ due date to 2015-08-30.

gottfried: make the end of August please

Action 1648


<trackbot> action-1648 -- James Nurthen to Review entry point regulation http://www.w3.org/tr/epr/ -- due 2015-06-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1648

JN: I have not done it yet. I need to get to this, this week

<MichaelC> action-1648 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-1648 Review entry point regulation http://www.w3.org/tr/epr/ due date to 2015-08-05.

michael: I will put that out a week

<MichaelC> action-1648 due 29 aug

<trackbot> Set action-1648 Review entry point regulation http://www.w3.org/tr/epr/ due date to 2015-08-29.

janina: make that August 29


<trackbot> action-1629 -- James Nurthen to Review manifest for a web application http://www.w3.org/tr/appmanifest/ -- due 2015-06-24 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1629

michael: review the manifest for an application

<MichaelC> action-1629 due 29 Aug

<trackbot> Set action-1629 Review manifest for a web application http://www.w3.org/tr/appmanifest/ due date to 2015-08-29.


<trackbot> action-1615 -- Janina Sajka to Review media capture and streams http://www.w3.org/tr/mediacapture-streams/ -- due 2015-07-29 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1615

janina: closed to finished.


<trackbot> action-1597 -- Janina Sajka to Review web midi api http://www.w3.org/tr/webmidi/ -- due 2015-07-27 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1597

janina: give me another week please

<MichaelC> action-1597 due 1 week

<trackbot> Set action-1597 Review web midi api http://www.w3.org/tr/webmidi/ due date to 2015-08-05.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

michael: no new publications in the last week

Community Groups http://www.w3.org/community/groups/

<MichaelC> Wearable Web Community Group

michael: wearable web community group
... the mission is to investigate technical standardizations
... I think it is dead

<MichaelC> Annotation UX Community Group

michael: there is a chair but no mailing list represenatitives
... nothing happening in the community group
... put this in the would have like to track list

<MichaelC> BDE-Secure, clean and efficient energy Community Group

michael: bde secure clean and efficient energy

janina: we don’t need to track this one

<MichaelC> BDE-Smart, green and integrated transport Community Group

michael: there were 2 things on the mailling list. one was a workshop
... we don’t need to track this

<MichaelC> Restaurant Ontology Community Group

michael: we don’t need to track

<MichaelC> WebAssembly Community Group

Michael: Script in general breaks the declarative aspects. this takes it a step further and makes it unreadable.
... this is more cross browser
... I don’t know if there are accessibility issues

fred: I thought applets were dead

michael: this is the replacement for applets.
... the issue of script proliferation is something we need to look at

Micheiel: You don’t have a source if you compile

Michael: if your script engine is capable of interpreting the byte code …
... not really our problem

janina: we should not really track but have a discussion on scripting

michael: we don’t want to oppose it.

janina: we would not oppose it on principle. We would want to ensure that whatever is there is accessible. That gets broken too.
... there are issues to scripting and there need to be best practices.

Michiel: any complications for AT?

Rich: Cynthia is going to lead an effort on a javascript api for accessibility
... maybe they should look at this at some point

janina: let’s log it
... this is going to start an incubator CG
... we need to get down to the nuts and bolts of this for tpac
... PF is monday, tuesday, thursday and Friday. ARIA is monday and tuesday. APA is thursday and Friday

JN: when is the registration deadline before the fees go up?

Michael: It is not until October
... October 7 is a bit late. so I am bugging you all :-)

<MichaelC> TPAC 2015

janina: as we get to August we will need actual agendas to develop

michael: I think DPUB is going

Rich: there may be a need to talk about math at TPAC as DPUB is there

Rechartering Progress

<Ryladog> Main Page: http://www.w3.org/2015/11/TPAC/

janina: we have a lot of votes but we are waiting for a few. There are 36 hours left

<Ryladog> APA Wiki: https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Meetings/TPAC2015/APA

michael, those organizations were over pinged. (some that had not responded)

michael: we had a couple objections we need to respond to
... we may provide an explanation of why a comment has not been accepted.
... some objections are addressable with some clarifications
... the more objections there are the more there we need to look at them
... the presence of a lot of votes in favor does help

zakim close this item

<MichaelC> but objections are considered on their merits

TPAC 2013 Update

Rich: we are turning and burning in ARIA. all good

janina: coga is doing well

fred: we are working on a chart taxonomy for svg2

michael: we found a way to handle issues even if they did not have commit access
... this is svg2-aria. I will bring it to an editor’s agenda

rich: the module approach has proven to be very successful. the dpub-aria group is doing well too

janina: Shane is following web payments for accessibility
... there is a call to discuss web payments
... this is part of the HTML task force
... the html a11y task force call is tomorrow.
... Thursday, 11 Boston time
... #html-a11y

Other Task Force Updates; COGA; SVG; HTML-A11Y--HTML Reorganization

MAUR Finalization (Redux)

janina: we are waiting for me to send out the emails

Captcha, Multi-Factor Authentication Note Discussion

janina: the world is moving toward driverless vehicles.
... there are all kinds of technology.
... there is a proposal for future work. There is also a community group on driverless APIs
... cross platform in how you interface and control it. we should take the Maur approach on driverless and take it disability by disability
... at TPAC we might offer to do this.
... … this is what you need to do to support it.
... we should have interfaces that work with talk back
... comments, questions?

katie: I think it is a good idea

janina: nobody has said no to this
... we are at the stage of socializing this
... i am offering to work on it
... we could organize top categories in time for TPAC

Driverless Accessibility User Requirements -- Continued Discussion

<MichaelC> above discussion was under this topic

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/07/29 17:03:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/reader and developer/reader maintainer and developer/
Succeeded: s/Miguel/Michiel/
Succeeded: s/tracking/scripting/
Succeeded: s/Cynthia/Janina/
Succeeded: s/objects/objections/
Succeeded: s/succesfful/successful/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: richardschwerdtfeger
Found Scribe: Rich
Present: Janina Michiel_Bijl Joanmarie_Diggs MichaelC Gottfried JamesN Rich Katie Haritos-Shea Fred fesch

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 29 Jul 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/07/29-pf-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]