Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

09 Jun 2015

See also: IRC log


Kathy, AWK, Makoto, EricE, kenny, Louis, Marc, Johlic, Laura, David, Bruce, Mike_E, Katie_Haritos-Shea, Bruce_Bailey
Moe_Kraft, Jon_Avila


<trackbot> Date: 09 June 2015

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribe_List

<AWK> Scribe: Laura


AWK: Loretta left the group
... Louis is representing Google

<Joshue> Yes- big props out to Loretta

AWK: We will be wrapping up tech and understanding docs

QRG Updates

<yatil> http://w3c.github.io/wai-wcag-quickref/

Eric: Progress from last weeks. Incremental updates.

<yatil> http://w3c.github.io/wai-wcag-quickref/alternative.html

Eric: User feedback sessions next Tuesday.
... Will send detialt to group.

Josh: Likes the "scrolling thing"

Eric: Floating menu works for keyboard users.

David: May want to differentiate between sufficient techiques.

Josh: One of things strikes me not have feeling of being overwhelmed. Staggering how things are reviealed. Maybe use of icons could help.
... suggests color coding.
... Nice and tidy when click on tags and they shrink.

David: Maybe change "Understanding" to the other side.

Eric: He is working on it.

Summer Schedule: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/WCAGsummer2015

AWK: Thank you for responses. Please fill out survey you haven't.
... Chairs will send out notice for cancellations

<jamesn> will you take care of regrets for meetings based on the responses to this survey

AWK: Yes, please send regrets for meetings. It is nice to know. You can bundle them up if needed.

<Mike_Elledge> coup d'etat!

James: Suggests critical items during summer should be pointed out.

AWK: Fair enough. Please review resolutions, techniques and read minutes.

Extension Ideas: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/ExtensionIdeas

AWK: Next survey is on extensions. Will build up over time.

We have the Wiki Sorted ideas.

<Louis_Cheng> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Post_WCAG_2_Issues_Sorted

<marcjohlic> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Post_WCAG_2_Issues_Sorted

AWK: Collected a lot of ideas over time on the Wiki page. Provided inital thoughts. It is a bit overwelming.

<Ryladog> +1

AWK: Group needs to figure out next steps.
... Doesn't want to go through each item one by one on the call.
... Wants to frame parameter of extensions

Mike: Survey ideas for extensions. Looking at WCAG 2.0 as it currently it.

AWK: We don't know what the list of extensions is going to look like.

…not sure right now.


Josh: Need a pass on reviews and actionable items.
... survey may be too broad.
... Need tangible actions for extensions.

AWK: Example Row 14.

… Promote 1.4.3 from AA to A.

…straight foreward.

@@ other example not actionable.

AWK: Altenative approach use Wiki page.

Josh: Wiki page is getting too unwieldy.
... "What should WCAG do?"column should be group consensus.
... @@ working group members can make suggestions.

AWK: "Assigned to" group member shoud complete the "What should WCAG do?" column. Don’t force an answer.

Bruce: Suggests doing low hanging fruit first. But it is diffucult to know what those are.

AWK: WG member take one more pass and fill out "What should WCAG do?" column.

<Kathy> yes

<Mike_Elledge> 1+

<Bruce_Bailey> Bruce volunteers to take a pass at the page and help fill out

AWK: What is the biggest probelem with WCAG2?

Kaitie: Normative informative

James: Too Big. Too much stuff.

<AWK> James: Developers are confused and overwhelmed

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say too confusing to be technology agnostic, while not fully future proofed

… overwhelming

MichaelC: Designed to be tech agnostic. @@ Confusing.

David: Agrees with MichaelC.

Bruce: People confused by levels.

Josh: Agrees with James. We don’t see ourselves defining best practices.

@@Dissussion on audio descriptions.

<AWK> Katie: Audio description should always be required.

<Bruce_Bailey> People are confused that 1.4.3 permits Audio Description *or* Media Alternative and then 1.2.5 requires Audio Description.

<Ryladog> yeah Makoto!

Makoto: Understandability may be the biggest issue.

<AWK> Makoto: Internationally the largest issue is that the usage of English is complex and hard to interpret by foreign speakers.

<AWK> MC: Some of the complex wording is to make technology independent

<AWK> Bruce: some criteria are "kitchen sink"-type, like 1.3.1

Bruce: WCAG 1.0 tables ends up being a kitchen sink.

<AWK> KathyW: Accessibility Support concept difficult

<jamesn> one more

Katie: "accessibility support" can be confusing.

<AWK> JamesN: Conformance concepts are difficult

James: Concept of conformance is confusing.

<Joshue> wcag zen

<Mike_Elledge> bye!

AWK: Thank you everyone.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/06/10 06:53:22 $