Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference
21 Jan 2015

See also: IRC log


jf, janina


<trackbot> Date: 21 January 2015

<janina> Meeting: PFWG telecon

<janina> agenda: this

preview agenda with items from two minutes

<JF> scribe

<janina> scribe: jf

JS: any comments? Around the table

RS: SVG a11y TF will be doing a walk-through of the a11y mapping on friday at 9:00 AM Boston

Previous Meeting Minutes https://www.w3.org/2015/01/14-pf-minutes.html

RESOLUTION: publish last week's minutes as submitted

Actions Review (Specs) http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/open

MC: no spec actions that are recent


MC: believe she relied on list - the action is closed

(MC quoting Cyn's response)

<MichaelC> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/wai-liaison/2015Jan/0004.html

JS: welcomes Cho Pandhi, from IBM
... will pause and do a round-table introduction

[intros all around]

<janina> fzakim, who's on the phone?

<fesch> zakim. who's on the phone?

JS: should follow up with web notifications folk to ensure they have what they need
... will take that on

<scribe> ACTION: Janina to follow up with web notifications folk on Cyn's response [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/21-pf-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1566 - Follow up with web notifications folk on cyn's response [on Janina Sajka - due 2015-01-28].

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html#tr_LCWD

MC: there are no new LCs - there is something on web performance, but likely not useful for us

<janina> scribe: janina

jf: WebVTT looking for evidence of wide review
... Discussion about styling support as described in MAUR
... Current proposed approach is styling info in head of WebVTT doc
... Additional info in email post ...


<JF> scribe: JF

JS: we need to ensure that there is a good review

WebVTT Draft: http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/

JS: we need to follow up on this, but looking for ideas
... will watch this.

Community Groups http://www.w3.org/community/groups/

MC: looking for new Community groups more than 3 months old

<MichaelC> -> www.w3.org/community/exploresemdata/ Exploration of Semantic Data CG

JS: suspect we can let that one ride

<MichaelC> -> www.w3.org/community/browserobo/ Browsers and Robotics CG

MC: sees a link to a11y, but unless there is interest at our end...

JS: looks like they are not doing anything

MAUR Final & Media Subteam

JS: I have been distracted - have had discussions with Josh Meille (Smith Kettlewell), but have not yet had a chance to have a conference call with him/them
... also note that an ISO WG is spending a lot of time looking at captions and sub-titles
... appears to be complimentary, although there seems to be a clash of terms

(descriptive audio versus described media)

SC: ready for review

ARIA.Next Items; AAP; AAPI; D-Pub; ARIA; SVG

JS: things are rolling

RS: lots happening. SVG TF is working out taxonomies approach - good progress, good participation
... digital publishing work is also underway - working with academia (etc)
... lots of good progress across the board

Other Task Force Updates; COGA; HTML-A11Y;

JS: COGA document was first published last thursday - it is their research and background context for the next step (gap analysis)

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2015JanMar/0010.html

JS: comments/review widely requested
... other issues is last steps for @longdesc

Comments period for AC ended last week, including one objection pointing to the old Apple objection - not sure how that will play out

JS: will review next week

CSS Device Adaptation http://www.w3.org/TR/css-device-adapt/

JS: Rich was making some progress,...

CSS Flexbox

RS: Did review of flexbox, and fundemental problem is that author can define order in boxes, so tht they can be rendered on screen. However, need to preserve order

If the regions used landmark markup, then there should not be an a11y issue

BUT if the sequence of content is meaningful - ie the "boxes" need to be rendered in a linear fashion: affects low viz and blind (and coga)

DOM order presents sequence (tab indesing, etc.), but if yo uchange the box order, it looses context for tab-navigating users

lots of push back from the browser vendors, who had a certain way they wanted to do this

so require a means of declaring the need for meaningful sequence

the other issue is with WCAG - which talks about logical order, but never speaks directly to meaningful sequence

working through/with CSS WG - some get it others don't

possible F2F meeting coming up (in sydney)

however, appears that some progress is being made. CSS WG needs to start thinking about a11y, as things are now going beyond just visual rendering

eg: CSS is now injecting content - content needs to be discoverable and testable for a11y content/compliance

many testing tools cannot/ do not detect issues (injection issues)

many of the AT vendors are reliant on DOM parsing - now tools can find images with alt text, taht doesn't exist

strong possibility that AT won't be able to access content, and the test tools won't find it

also, what of a11y mapping? doesn't exist (yet)

there are a number of strategic issues going forward. CSS WG needs to understand what they are 'breaking', and how/why

a lot of folks at AT industry seem to beleive they can sit back - but if they aren't sitting at the table its a huge problem

planning on doing a presentation for mapping, need to do similar for CSS

but having CSS WG aware of the box model issue now is big progress

JS: comments, questons?

JN: while we need to support IE, we also recommend other browsers when a11y is critical

RS: looking to have Freedom Scientific to speak to this

JN: this is becoming less of an issue - can be addressed through the contract language

JS: any other issues?
... adjourned for the day

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Janina to follow up with web notifications folk on Cyn's response [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/01/21-pf-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015-01-21 17:57:31 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/wnsure/ensure/
Succeeded: s/AI Square/JAWS/
Succeeded: s/JAWS/Freedom Scientific/
Found Scribe: jf
Inferring ScribeNick: JF
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF
Scribes: jf, janina
ScribeNicks: JF, janina

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Charu_Pandhi Fred_Esch JN JS James_Nurthen Joanmarie_Diggs MC MarkS Mary_Jo_Mueller MichaelC Michael_Cooper P28 P5 RS Rich_Schwerdtfeger SC ShaneM aaaa asurkov cpandhi eg fesch halindrome https inserted jamesn janina jf joanie joined maryjom_ pf richardschwerdtfeger trackbot yatil yatil-afk
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Found Date: 21 Jan 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/01/21-pf-minutes.html
People with action items: janina

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]