Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

09 Sep 2014


See also: IRC log


Michael_Cooper, Kenny, AWK, Joshue, Sailesh_Panchang, David_MacDonald, Loretta, James_Nurthen
Kathy_W, Brent, Bruce, Katie, Alistair_Garrison, Jon_Avila


<trackbot> Date: 09 September 2014

<Kenny> zakimm, IPcaller is Joshue

<AWK> Chair: AWK

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribe_List

<scribe> Scribe: David

Publication update

AWK: Publishing on Thursday

TPAC F2F - October 25-26, 2014

AWK: a couple of months ago we spoke about TPAC, katie, Michael, Kenny, wondering about others

Loretta: Intending to come Sunday afternoon and Monday

AWK: polled about meeting ... majority wanted Sun -Mon instead of MON, Tues, or WED -Thurs.
... Adobe can't host again...
... if we do afternoon monday, or sunday... it's tough for remote...
... wanted to get a sense of who could come

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to mention time zone

Michael: For those remotely.... Norht A. will be differeent daylight savings than Europe... easier for europe

Europe: 4pm-12am

AWK: is there reason for us to try to meet Mon-Tues? looks like sunday might be lightly... not sure if W3C could do that

Michael: Might be hard to take back room from other groups who might be meeting one day...

<Joshue108> DMacD: I'm in a similar situation to Josh

<Joshue108> DMacD: I'm also in HTML5 and the a11y tf

<Joshue108> DMacD: Would like to go

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to mention other registrants

MC: Vivian registered, Wilhelm, Lisa registered but maybe not depending on Cognitive task force...

AWK: Tuesday might be a time to crank on techniques...

Miscellaneous Survey for September 9, 2014: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/Sept9Survey2014/

AWK: it's coming soon...

<Joshue108> Da, da ,da

<Joshue108> zakim mute me

<AWK> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/Sept9Survey2014/results

AWK: concerned about consultation on specific bits of code...

LC-2964: 1.3.2. Violation?

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/REC-WCAG20-20081211/2964

<Joshue108> +q

Loretta: I don't think we should be providing feedback over whether a page passes...

RESOLUTION: accepted LC-2964 as amended

Mobile: Change to Technique G4

<Joshue108> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/G4

<Joshue108> DMacD: Are they OR statements?

<Joshue108> DMacD: So you don't need a pause button?

<Joshue108> AWK: What do ya mean?

<Joshue108> DMacD: Thats ok, I get it

AWK: does the addition of a 3rd bullet any more of a mobile technique than it is already
... they could have modified the first two bullets rather than add a bullet

Joshue: be good to weave mobile language throughout such as gesture...

AWK: maybe send it back to TF with that suggestion

<AWK> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/G4

James: we might want to not encourage bad stuff, such as scrolling news banners,

AWK: techniques about scrolling content in general
... objections to sending back:

RESOLUTION: leave open pending comments from the group, regarding weaving mobile language throughout, and modifying first two bullets...

Open actions (https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/track/actions/open) and issues (https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/track/issues/open)

Miscellaneous Survey for September 9, 2014: https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/Sept9Survey2014/

AWK: sounds like it is making real world over the internet... wondering if that is in scope

Loretta: mobile is not necessary the internet... need to be careful when doing mobile techniques that we distinguish web and non web

James: sounds like just having the mobile device as a source of captions

AWK: send back, not sure whether it is online, any way to adapt example 1, or clarify....

TOOIC: compendium draft survey

Companion survey document

Loretta: public/private.... but I'm not sure what buckets we want to put them in...

Joshue: we toying with ideas with filtering, based on user preference, developer vs. designer, etc... procurer...

Loretta: I support that but I don't think this question... we should put in an open question

Joshue: list of roles... which do you most identify with

Loretta: allow more than one selection

Joshue: maybe an open ended tell us about yourself

Loretta: tougher for us to analyse

Joshue: policy, developer or procurer are my three main categories

Loretta: I haven't been thinking about that
... in the early days in the understanding

<Joshue108> I've pinged Kim and Kathy on both the G9 and G4 mobile techniques

AWK: techniques #3 needs clarification
... concerned that survey too long, and not finished... maybe some branching is necessary

Loretta: many think the documents are too complex and long.

Joshue: being quite specific to give us an idea of what people are using or if they are using them the way we hope they are

AWK: don't want to remove the "have you read this section"... that will help us
... good to add country question

David: are we going to translate into other languages

<Joshue108> DMacD: What about other languages?

<Joshue108> MC: We could tap some other those who have done translations previously

<Joshue108> JOC: Good catch

<MichaelC> http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/translations

AWK: : seems fair not to provide survey in languages that don't have translations

Sailesh: branching out can be helpful

<Joshue108> JOC: If there is anything missing then let AWK and I know, either on list or ping us directly

David: Government of Canada says XML schema too tough to contribute to

AWK: that may be at a different level... we have on our radar about the XML...

David: What survey mechnism... ours, survey monkey etc...?

AWK: also Adobe forms or other tools possible

Joshue: I like Survey Monkey... might be useful... our WBS doesn't have graphs charts etc.. does Adobe have charts etc...

AWK: not sure if it has charts, not sure about branching...

Joshue: Survey monkey is accessible out of the box

Sailesh: where will we go to get word out

AWK: webaim list, social networks...

<Joshue108> +1 to David

David: if we use survey monkey it gives the impression its public and out there for them... whereas the WBS may give an internal flavour

Joshue: me and michael agree

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-09-09 16:40:00 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/weqve/weave/
Succeeded: s/ot/to/
Succeeded: s/AWL/AWK:/
Found Scribe: David
Inferring ScribeNick: David
Default Present: Michael_Cooper, Kenny, AWK, Joshue, Sailesh_Panchang, David_MacDonald, Loretta, James_Nurthen
Present: Michael_Cooper Kenny AWK Joshue Sailesh_Panchang David_MacDonald Loretta James_Nurthen
Regrets: Kathy_W Brent Bruce Katie Alistair_Garrison Jon_Avila
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2014JulSep/0222.html
Found Date: 09 Sep 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/09/09-wai-wcag-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]