Protocols and Formats Working Group Teleconference
12 Mar 2014


See also: IRC log


janina, James_Nurthen, Michael_Cooper, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Lisa_Seeman, Shane_McCarron, Mary_Jo_Mueller, Joanie_Diggs, Susann_Keohane, John_Foliot, wuwei, Cynthia_Shelly


<trackbot> Date: 12 March 2014

<janina> Meeting: PFWG telecon

<janina> agenda: this

<scribe> scribe: MaryJo

preview agenda with items from two minutes

LS: For the hackathon we could build a database of right and wrong examples for ARIA to use as test cases.
... For example a <span> with a role of 'main' is a failure.
... Welcomes members to add more examples and report any issues to Lisa Seeman.

<Lisa> http://athena-ict.com/UnitTestsHomePage.html

LS: More fields can be added if we need them.

Previous Meeting Minutes https://www.w3.org/2014/03/05-pf-minutes.html

JS: Are there any edits or corrections from last week's meeting minutes?

RESOLUTION: Approved minutes as redacted for public publication.

ARIA 1.0 TR Revision CfC https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2014JanMar/0162.html

JS: We had a last-minute comment saying we were using the wrong RDF-related language.
... We have a proposed solution and it has gone out for approval.

MC: The director had looked at the proposed solution which doesn't change how things are referenced. The director thought the IRI change is a broader change and suggested we roll back the change and keep the 'any RDF reference such as a URI' to fix the comment.
... We need input from implementers to get feedback on this comment resolution.
... Have feedback from some companies like Microsoft, but need additional responses. Need input from James Craig and some others.

RS: IBM approves. We don't use RDF.

<Zakim> ShaneM, you wanted to clarify URI vs IRI when we are talking about @role

SM: With regards to role, role attribute, etc. URI is the same as IRI. It wasn't changed in the RDF text either, just noted that a URI is an IRI.

<janina> Draft RESOLUTION: PF approves the ARIA 1.0 edit regarding IRI's proposed in the CfC at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2014JanMar/0162.html

RESOLUTION: PF approves the ARIA 1.0 edit regarding IRI's proposed in the CfC at https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2014JanMar/0162.html

JS: We will have to wait for the end of the 48 hours before actually closing this out.
... We are otherwise approved to move ARIA to recommendation status.

Actions Review (Specs) http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/open

MC: Covered 3 older action items and will have to follow up with the owners who aren't on the call today.

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html#tr_LCWD

<MichaelC> Linked Data Platform 1.0

MC: Describes a set of best practices for linked data using the RDF model.

JS: Doesn't see any UI implications, so it isn't of concern.

MC: HTML imports isn't a first public working draft - about HTML includes.

JS: We can wait till last call on that.

Community Groups Checkin http://www.w3.org/community/groups/

<MichaelC> ORTC (Object Real-time Communications) CG

MC: Mission is to define object-centered communications for mobile.

JS: We might want to check into this a little bit more.

MC: Will put this in the list of groups we want to do a bit of investigation into.

APIs Checkin

JS: We have to organize how to track the API work. We should work on this after CSUN.

CSS Borders & Backgrounds http://www.w3.org/2014/02/19-pf-minutes.html#action03

CS: Read through it and it has a strongly worded note about background images and sprites for high contrast. However the solution is costly in server cycles, so we need a good solution to probably have added to this spec.
... For a custom focus ring, it would be nice to have an example or a link to an example.
... There could be a special treatment for the styling of items in the focus ring.

LS: If they haven't mentioned how to do these things in the spec, they need to add them.

CS: This spec doesn't contain a lot of examples.
... Having an example would be useful.
... If an example wouldn't be added because there aren't many examples, we want to ask where would they put examples.

<ShaneM> I like the idea of a high contrast media query

CS: Another new feature would be a media query for high contrast to switch images to high contrast images, modify borders, etc.

<joanie> +1 to making it generalized

RESOLUTION: Formalize Cynthia's comments into PF working group comments.

<MichaelC> close action-1387

<trackbot> Closed action-1387.

CSS Counters Response http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Jan/0015.html

LS: Did a review, and now PF needs to review.

JS: Will take ownership of this.

Vibration API https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/1384

JS: Nothing we can do on this today.

Resource Priorities http://www.w3.org/TR/resource-priorities/

JS: Leonie isn't here today, so we should hold off on this.

Renaming PF https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2014JanMar/0145.html

JS: Told Judy PF would like to rename itself. We've done our due diligence and are waiting to hear back.
... This is tied to our new charter, the next item on the agenda.
... It looks like all blocking issues are out of the way, so we can move forward getting the new name.

PF Charter Update https://www.w3.org/2012/10/draft-pfwg-charter

JS: This is in progress, awaiting processing.

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say ARIA / HTML 5 a11y push focus and to say temp WG focus and to say infracstructure

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say doesn´t affect cognitive and to say review

Task Force Updates: Cognitive TF

JF: It looks like the ARIA techniques task force can soon reach a logical conclusion. Originally the Task force was created to take up development of techniques to help out the WCAG working group.

MC: The task force started in the WCAG working group but they needed the PF expertise on ARIA and HTML5 to develop examples and so PF members joined the WCAG working group to contribute in that task force.

JF: The task force may have run it’s time and wants to determine if it should remain in the future. When WCAG takes up the example development, the PF members won’t need to be involved in regular meetings.
... The PF working group can propose techniques and also review techniques as they are developed by the WCAG working group.

RS: Additional technologies like SVG may require a joint effort, but not necessarily require a task force.

MC: The cognitive task force can propose techniques as part of its work.

RS: We’ve got to work on a transition to the WCAG working group for developing techniques.

Enhanced Mail Archiver https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2013AprJun/0442.html

New Business

next and future meetings http://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar#s_273

JS: The meeting for this coming Wednesday, the 19th has been canceled due to CSUN.
... This means the next meeting is in 2 weeks, on the 26th.

be done

JS: Meeting adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-03-26 17:09:30 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/'main'./'main' is a failure./
Succeeded: s/rssagent, draft minutes//
Succeeded: s/rssagent, make minutes//
Succeeded: s/rssagent, make minutes//
Succeeded: s/I need to drop temporarily//
Found Scribe: MaryJo
Inferring ScribeNick: MaryJo
Default Present: janina, James_Nurthen, Michael_Cooper, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Lisa_Seeman, Shane_McCarron, +1.512.659.aaaa, Joanie_Diggs, Suzann_Keohane
Present: janina James_Nurthen Michael_Cooper Rich_Schwerdtfeger Lisa_Seeman Shane_McCarron Mary_Jo_Mueller Joanie_Diggs Susann_Keohane John_Foliot wuwei Cynthia_Shelly
Regrets: Billy_Gregory
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2014Mar/0036.html
Found Date: 12 Mar 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/03/12-pf-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]