This wiki has been archived and is now read-only.

Kick Off Meeting

From Share-PSI EC Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Time and Date

Monday 10th February, 09:30 - 17:00


Centre for Creative Collaboration 16 Acton St London WC1X 9NG United Kingdom Map


All timings subject to change

09:00 Arrive, coffee (thank you Open Knowledge Foundation)

09:30 Welcome from Rufus Pollock, Open Knowledge Foundation

09:40 Tour de Table Phil Archer (be prepared to learn a lot of names!)

10:00 Setting out Share-SPI 2.0 [slides]

See also the workshop to do list

11:15 Coffee

11:45 Thematic Networks - an administrative view, Philippe Rohou [slides]

12:00 Share-PSI 2.0 - the Commission's view, Carola Carstens [slides]

12:45 The role of the W3C Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group, Hadley Beeman (DWBP WG co-chair)

13:00 Lunch (at own expense)

14:00 The Hosts Each of the prospective hosts will tell us a little about what we might expect - we'll take them in reverse order

  • The Open Data Dialog, Jens Klessmann
  • CeDEM 2015, Johann Höchtl
  • UVT, Dana Petcu [slides]
  • Lisbon, André Lapa [slides]
  • The Samos Summit, Yannis Charalabidis/Harris Alexopoulos

14:30 Initial planning the first workshop - Yannis, Phil plus partners from IMP, FVH, VM, BCC, TUDOR, CTIC, MINHAP, UVT, OGC, ULL and ODI. (These are the partners who have indicated that they will be ready to present at the first workshop. Each partner will need to do this *at least* once during the project.) Things to confirm in London

  • Theme
  • Date

(Everything else can be worked on later but those two are fundamental).

17:00 Meeting adjourns. Those not rushing to the airport may like to head for the pub up the road


See also the Kick_Off_Meeting_Raw_Notes


ERCIM/W3C: Philippe Rohou/Phil Archer; EC: Carola Carstens; Public Research Centre Henri Tudor: Murial Foulonneau; PwC: Stijn Goedertier; Institute Mihajlo Pupin: Valentina Janev; SZTAKI: László Kovács; Forum Virium Helsinki: Pekka Kaponen; DIFI: Steinar Skagemo, Heather Broomfield; University of Economics, Prague: Jan Kučera; Ministry of Finance Finland: Mikael Vikkari; University of Zagreb: Neven Vrček; Malta Information Technology Agency: Joseph Azzopardi; Ministry of Finance of the Slovak Republic: Róbert Dobrovodský, Anna Andrejšinová; Ministry of Finances and Public Administrations: Mª Dolores Hernandez Maroto; Latvijas Universitātes Matemātikas un informātikas institūts: Uldis Bojārs; Agência para a Modernização Administrativa: André Lapa; Agenzia per l'Italia Digitale: Giorgia Lodi; Danube University Krems: Johann Höchtl; CTIC Technology Centre, Martin Alvarez Espinar; Karlsruhe Institute of Technology: Benedikt Kämpgen; Peter Krantz AB: Peter Krantz; Fraunhofer: Jens Klessmann; Digital Birmingham: Heike Schuster-James, Simon Whitehouse; Politecnico di Torino: Raimondo Iemma; Open Knowledge Foundation: Rufus Pollock, Sander van der Waal; Estonian Information Systems Authority: Hannes Kiivet; ]init[ : Sebastian Sklarß; PSI Alliance: Georg Hittmair; The Scottish Government: Peter Winstanley; The Open Data Institute: Amanda Smith; West University of Timisoara: Dana Petcu; The Hellenic Ministry of Administrative Reform and E-governance: Nancy Routzouni; The National University of Ireland, Galway: Lukas Porwol; The Open Group: Scott Hansen; University of La Laguna: José Luis Roda García; AMI Consult: Makx Dekkers; Co-ordination Cell Flemish e-Government: Noël Van Herreweghe; UAB Linked Data: Džiugas Tornau; The Slovenian Ministry of the Interior and Public Administration: Mateja Presern; iMINDS: Pieter Colpaert;


Athina Trakas, The Open Geospatial Consortium.

Session 1 – the formal landscape

NB. Due to travel difficulties, the order of the agenda was altered slightly.

The meeting began with a general introduction to the project's admin structure from project coordinator and the view of Share-PSI as seen from the European Commission. The slides from both presentations provide a comprehensive summary of each speaker's comments. In particular, Carola Carstens highlighted the new provisions in the revised PSI Directive and alerted the partners to the expected publication of the PSI Group's guidelines in mid 2014.

In his presentation, project administrator, Philippe Rohou, outlined the legal obligations of each partner. These include the various deliverables, the review cycle etc. Unusually, Share-PSI has a 10 month review cycle, rather than the usual 10 month. This means that project reviews can potentially be collocated with the workshops in Lisbon in December 2014 and Berlin in November 2015.

There was discussion of the need, or at least desirability, for a Consortium Agreement. Carola Carstens and Mateja Presern strongly supported this.

Session 2 – expectations and obligations

In the second session, Phil Archer expanded on Philippe Rohou's comments about partner obligations. Each partner is obliged to:

  • attend all 5 workshops
  • prepare and present a case study for at least one workshop;
  • review and comment on iterations of the DWBP Best Practices doc;
  • prepare/help prepare a localised implementation guide on technical aspects of PSI in your country/domain

A case study is essentially a short report on something that has been done within the organisation relevant to the topic of the specific workshop. This will be a written document, not necessarily a formal report, that is then presented at the workshop itself.

Partners presenting their case study at the workshop will be a member of the organising committee for the event. They plus other members of the Share-PSI 2.0 consortium will act as programme committee members to review papers submitted by external parties. Each partner's case study will itself be subject to peer review by other partners within the organising committee.

The slides give a full summary of the tasks for:

  • the event host;
  • the organising committee;
  • remaining partners.

The detail of the process for organising a workshop is set out separately.

There was considerable discussion about the rules for additional funding for the workshops, in particular, sponsorship. Since Share-PSI 2.0 is supported by the European Commission, the workshops themselves should not attract further sponsorship. However, collocated events may be sponsored. Furthermore, entry to the workshop itself must be free although there is no obligation on hosts to provide free refreshments. It is therefore acceptable to charge a catering fee, so long as, in theory at least, individuals could attend the event without paying that fee (i.e. making their own arrangements).

Towards the end of the project, partners are committed to preparing a best practice guide for PSI provision in their country or domain of interest, or revising an existing guide. More on this later.

Phil Archer set out the planned workshop timetable but indicated that should the partners so wish, that plan was amendable.

It is the coordinator's responsibility to prepare a full report following each workshop and they, plus the workshop host, should present that report to the W3C Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group (DWBP WG). That group is obliged to take the Share-PSI 2.0 findings into account when doing its work and it is that group that is ultimately responsible for collating and reflecting the experiences gained by the project partners.

The localised implementation guides prepared by the partners should reflect and reference the emerging W3C standard. Thus, although the two activities (Share-PSI 2.0 and W3C DWBP WG) are separately constituted, there is an important relationship between the two.

Session 3 – Share-PSI's relationship with the W3C working group

One of the co-chairs of the DWBP WG, Hadley Beeman, joined the meeting to present its work. She highlighted its charter, pointing to the Best Practice document as the key output expected of the working group. This is the one that will be informed by Share-PSI 2.0. Other outputs of the DWBP WG, notably some expected vocabularies, are out of scope for Share-PSI except inasmuch as their use may be seen as important to project partners. i.e. Share-PSI is not expected to contribute directly to the vocabulary development under way within the W3C working group.

Since Share-PSI 2.0 and the W3C Data on the Web Best Practices WG are separate, membership of one does not confer membership of the other.

Session 4 – the workshops

In this session, each of the hosts presented their plans.

Berlin, November 2015

Working back, the meeting heard first from Jens Klessmann from Fraunhofer FOKUS (slides) who are due to host the final Share-PSI workshop in November 2015, collocated with the Open Data Dialog. The dates are not yet finalised. It's hard, and perhaps unwise, to settle the topics so far in advance but they are expected to be open data in industry, geodata, data and trust. The topic was originally suggested by DUK but they're open to other suggestions. Jens confirmed that they are in touch with the German chapter of the Open Knowledge Foundation. open data policy in Germany is in the hands of a number of ministries with the Ministry of Internal Affairs taking the lead, working with the individual länder.

Krems, May 2015

Johann Höchtl, Danube University Krems (DUK) presented the annual CeDEM conference (Conference for eDemocracy and Open Government). Provisional dates for Share-PSI workshop are 19 – 20 May 2015 (CeDEM takes place 20-22). The topic is currently planned to be business models. This will need to be discussed and confirmed in Lisbon (December 2014). There was some discussion about how to get to Krems which is 80 km from Vienna. If multiple people are due to arrive at the same time then buses and taxis can be arranged. We will need to coordinate this within the organising committee.

Timisoara, March 2015

Dana Petcu from UVT presented the city of Timisoara, including its links to the outside world (i.e. it's not hard to get to as some might think). There's plenty of room for the workshop which would be collocated with the FP7 HOST project (subject to confirmation and that project's slight extension). This could also support travel and accommodation for up to 6 keynote speakers. UVT organises several such events each year and has a ream ready to support Share-PSI 2.0.

The topic is currently planned to be ' Identifying data sets for publication' but this can be finalised in Samos.

Lisbon, December 2014

André Lapa from AMA presented outline plans for the second Share-PSI 2.0 workshop to be held in early December in Lisbon. It is likely to be held at the university which has plenty of room for us. It will tie in with a national event around open data. The aim is to target commercial developers – who will be the first open data billionaire?

André asked whether we should focus on SMEs or enterprise? How might we get developers in contact with venture capitalists? How can we engage commercial data users like Tom Tom? These are questions to be addressed in the near future so that detailed planning can begin.

Other possible venues/events

The meeting briefly looked at alternatives to the planned 5 locations and timings. These included the Open Knowledge Foundation's OK Festival (Berlin in July 2014, 2015 venue not yet decided) and the World Wide Web Conference, scheduled for Florence in April 2015.

Samos, July 2014

The remainder of the meeting focussed on the first workshop which will be held in Samos on Monday 30th June – Tuesday 1st July as part of the Samos Summit.

In their presentation, Yannis and Harris explained that the summit was originally planned to include three projects: ENGAGE, EU Community and NOMAD. Adding Share-PSI makes the event much bigger. Topics already lined up to be covered include:

  • Open and linked data applications, technological frameworks and standardization approaches
  • Big data management technologies in policy support, with an emphasis in simulation, mining and visualiszaiton approaches
  • Global Systems Science
  • Interoperable infrastructures and cloud technologies for open and collaborative governance scenarios

The call for participation in the Samos Summit has already been published. The Share-PSI 2.0 CfP will be separate.

The Samos Summit has been established as a place where many projects come to have their meetings (this is the 5th year of the event).

Catering for the event includes two social dinners so there will be a cost for participation. It was emphasised that participation must be possible without benefitting from the catering if so desired. Yannis confirmed that this would indeed be possible – if awkward. In practice, paying the catering fee would be preferable and probably cheaper in the long run for participants.

The topic for the Share-PSI 2.0 component of the event is settled as ' Uses of Open Data within government for innovation and efficiency.'

There was a discussion about publishing the papers and presentations both in terms of physical formats and copyright. n summary:

  • all papers will remain copyright of the authors but they must be aware that their work will be published openly
  • proceedings will be published as a Google Doc initially (but W3C will convert/save as an HTML page on the project Web site)

The topic list for the workshop was discussed at length. From the DoW it is:

  • PSI Sharing and OGD status at regional, national and district level
  • Open data for policy making support and evidence-based decision making by administrations
  • Open data for research, on societal challnges tackling
  • Open data for citizens; transparency, social evolution, and information
  • Open data for businesses and SMEs
  • Open data resources and infrastructures status - what is happening on the platform/infrastructure
  • The Open Data Lifecycle (1.0: public sector publishes, other consume, 2.0: Citizens also produce, link …)

There was agreement with Makx Dekkers who pointed out that this was effectively 'everything; and needed to be narrowed down.

The continued discussion lead to a Google spreadsheet being completed with details of the case studies to be presented at Samos (see tab 4 on the spreadsheet). Each case study relates to one of the topics in the first tab and from that it will be possible to derive the CfP. Topics not covered by the partners' use cases can be omitted from the CfP.

Session 5 – wrapping up

Finally there was a discussion about the project in future. Is Share-PSI 2.0 only about technical standards? No, it's technical standards to implement policies and those policies need to be reflected. LAPSI project is working on legal aspects.

EU about to publish general guidelines on licensing, PhilA sceptical of machine readable licenses (i.e. let's not over promise what can be done). Project might make some useful suggestions about this though.

Can we create a cookbook around organisational issues for open data (like the Dutch one)? Problem is it's hard to generalise. Rome has a generalised model that might be useful. ENGAGE is producing a deliverable on the upstream lifecycle of OD.

Action items:

  • Harris to circulate Google Doc URL, including draft CfP 9which needs to be published ASAP.
  • PhilA to circulate contact list of partners
  • All to get account on w3.org to allow write access to wiki