W3C Semantic Web
Activity Semantic Web Interest
Group Member Events
1-2 March 2004 Meeting of the W3C Semantic Web Interest
Part of the W3C Technical
Plenary, 1-5 March 2004, Cannes-Mandelieu, France
A meeting of the Semantic Web Interest
Group (SW IG, formerly RDF IG) is scheduled for the 1st and 2nd March
2004, during the W3C Technical
This Interest Group is a continuation of the RDF Interest Group. See the Interest Group
charter for more details on the group, including our mission,
The Technical Plenary
Week continues after the SW IG meeting (mon/tues 1st and 2nd of
March), with a wednesday plenary session, followed by further meetings
of W3C groups on thur/fri 4th and 5th March. Note that there is a Semantic Web Best Practices
WG meeting planned for thursday and friday of TP week. Both
meetings are likely to address the relationship between BPD WG and SW
IG. In brief, the two groups have related goals, but differing
membership models and work styles. The SW IG is designed to complement
the work of W3C's Semantic Web Working Groups through providing a
broader public forum for collaboration and discussion. The BPD WG
meeting is intended primarily for WG members, although observers may
be allowed (see meeting
page for details).
We had 19 IG
participants registered, plus 24/28 people who
registered as observers. Observers are encouraged to participate in
See also: 25Feb agenda update which invites those who have not registered but want to attend to contact the chair.
Location: Riviera C room.
This seats approximately 35 active participants, with room for
35 more around edges of the room.
The language of the meeting is English. Remote participation
via the #rdfig IRC channel
is welcome, although the meeting will be focussed on the
- 802.11 ESSID
see also: 25Feb agenda update
SWIG Agenda - Monday Mar 1st
- 9.00-9.15 Welcome, logistics, assign scribe, agenda review (Dan Brickley, chair)
- 9.15-10.00 Introductory round (all participants)
- 10.00-10.30 W3C Semantic Web Activity update (status of groups etc) (Dan Brickley) (process diagrams, esp rec54-img.svg)
- 10.30-11.00 COFFEE BREAK
- 11.00-11.30 RDF
Calendar and Scheduling Task Force (Libby Miller and Dan Connolly), background msg
- 11.30-11.50 RDF Datatyping: intro, lightning talk,
discussion (Graham Klyne) background: Using datatype-aware
inferences with RDF; Swish, including relevant test
Ontology Reasoning with Datatype Groups", 2003; Horrocks, I. and J. Pan
- 11.50-12.00 lightning talks:
- 12.00-12.15 Report from SWAD-Europe Storage/scalability workshop + discussion(Dave Beckett)
- reporting on SWAD-Europe developer
workshop on SemWeb storage/retrieval, 10min+5 discussion on
performance and scalability strategies for RDF/SW DBs.
- 12.15-12.20 Bijan Parsia - update on WSDL in RDF
- 12.20-12.30 Discussion
- 12.30-13.30 LUNCH
- 13.30-14.30 RDF-in-XHTML and GRDDL: proposals and progress (w/ HTML WG):
[1 hour] RDF-in-XHTML and GRDDL presentations
Mark Birkbeck (x-port.net Ltd, representing HTML WG) on XHTML and RDF proposal.
Dan Connolly (w3C) on GRDDL (draft
SW CG Note)
- 14.30-15.00 COFFEE BREAK
- 15.00-15.45 RDF Query and Data Access - new WG and ongoing collaboration (EricP
- 15.45-17.00 ...[@@topics from list below or 5 min presentations (propose these to chair)]
- 17.00 ADJOURN.
SWIG Agenda - Tuesday March 2nd
- 9.00-9.10 logistics, agenda review, confirm/assign scribe
- 9.10-9.45 Working with the Best Practices and Deployment WG (w/ Guus Schreiber)
- 9.45-10.?? Bijan Parsia - update on SemWeb / WebServices
- 10.35-11.05 COFFEE BREAK
- 11.05-11.10 Corby Olivier - Conceptual Graph-based search engine
- 11.10-11.30 Modelling
Context using Named Graphs (Jeremy Carroll, Chris Bizer)
[~15-20 mins] contexts, quads, quintiples and named
graphs, intro from Jeremy Carroll (HP) (re work w/ Chris Bizer,
Patrick Stickler). 5-10 mins presentation + ??5-10 mins discussion
re developer and application experience deploying such constructs
Triples in XML (Trix), Carroll, Jeremy J.; Stickler, Patrick.
Other related work: Redland contexts;
by Edd Dumbill).
- 12.15-12.30 Discussion
- 12.30-13.30 LUNCH
- 13.30-14.30 IG planning: charter, goals, collaboration 2004-6 (including collaboration machinery: email, wiki, weblogs, irc/IM,telecon/voip)
- 14.30-15.00 Where next for SW? Round the table - 1 min each
- 15.00-15.20 COFFEE BREAK
- 15.20-15.25 lightning talk: XOW (Danny Ayers) - W6 is a simple OWL vocabulary for expressing resource
descriptions along axes based on the questions : who?, what?, why?, when?, where? and
how?. See also
demo and latest
work in progress.
- 15.25-15.30 RDF and ImageDescription (Libby Miller)
- focus on recent IRC-based collaboration, also exif-in-rdf,
see ImageDescription in ESW wiki.
- 15.30-15.05 Jos De Roo Euler SWIG Implementation experience in Euler
- 15.10-15.20 Charles McCathieNevile - Thesaurus etc
- ...[more topics from list below or 5 min presentations (propose these to chair)]
- 16.50-17.00 Wrap up, conclusions.
- 17.00 ADJOURN.
A few participants have written up the meeting in various levels of
detail. Libby's points to the presentations. @@todo: summarise
here@@. Articles from
Ayers (@@more articles).
More photos: photo of
break discussions, ...
Dan Brickley, RDF/SW Interest Group
$Revision: 1.37 $ of $Date: 2004/03/31 23:22:41 $ by $Author: danbri $