From: Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de
Subject: Re: [Interop] quick poll on the Translate field
To: gstein@lyra.org
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:12:15 +0100 (CET)

SimpleCMS does support it, as well as the source/link way of doing it.

On  3 Nov, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 05:33:17PM -0800, Matthieu Chevrier wrote:
>> --> which WebDAV Servers and Clients support (or will very soon) the
>> 'Translate' field ? (besides IE on PC)
>
> mod_dav does not implement it, and it never will.
>

> IMO, it is the wrong approach to solving the problem. The source/link
> stuff and multiple resources is the right way. You didn't ask for a

No, it isn't. translate and source/link solve different problems. WebDAV
emulates a file system layer. So my clients expect _one_ source file.
Everthing else is nice-to-have, and may be very powerfull for some uses,
but is obviously wrong for a simple: give me _this_ resource,
untranslated.

As for SimpleCMS, we could well use the both approaches for different
reasons (we do not right now).

Situation: every page is transformed on-the-fly, using a menu-module,
and possible background, logo etc. resources.

So, where should the source link(s) point to? The complete solution:
- a raw version of the url in question
and probably
- a menu vonfig page, where the current menu style is choosen (or the
  menu program module??)
- the background gif
- the logo, if used
- any sub-dir logos, if used
- possible many more resources.
- if it's a database generated pag: possible pointers to the raw table
  data, too.

Very powerfull, potentially very usefull, but tell me: how should a
network redirector like WebIFS show this mess to the user??

Instead, the translate header would just say: give me _this_ url,
untranslated. No questions what this means. One resource. No choice (no
power, too :). Easy to realize, consistent with the file system model,
and easy to explain to the user.

So: source link are nice and powerfull and may be used for advanced
purposes, but are simply not the same as translate.

Use both.

Just my two cents

Cheers, Mathias

--