ISSUE-83: Use of the dt and dd elements in figure and details content models

dt-dd-semantics

Use of the dt and dd elements in figure and details content models

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Michael[tm] Smith
Opened on:
2009-09-29
Description:
The content models for the <figure> and <details> elements use the <dt> and <dd> elements, but give them different semantics.

Related bugs:
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7657
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7669

Issue 83 ACTION-152 dt/dd Change Proposal by Shelley Powers, November 10, 2009

At burningbird:
http://burningbird.net/node/82

Also in the ESW Wiki:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/DdDt
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Re: <caption>, <figcaption>, <seccaption>, <divcaption>, etc. (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2011-08-29)
  2. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-83 dt-dd-semantics by amicable resolution (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-11)
  3. Minutes HTML WG 11 February 2010 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-11)
  4. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from dboudreau@webconforme.com on 2010-02-10)
  5. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-02-10)
  6. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  7. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  8. Minutes HTML WG 4 February 2010 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-04)
  9. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-02: actions, issues, publication, F2F, decision process, licensing (from singer@apple.com on 2010-02-03)
  10. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-02: actions, issues, publication, F2F, decision process, licensing (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-03)
  11. CfC: Close ISSUE-83 dt-dd-semantics by amicable resolution (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-02)
  12. Re: Next issues to move forward on (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-29)
  13. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-28: (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-27)
  14. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-01-26)
  15. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-01-26)
  16. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-01-26)
  17. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-01-25)
  18. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-01-25)
  19. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-25)
  20. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-01-25)
  21. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  22. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  23. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  24. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-24)
  25. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  26. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  27. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from gunther@keryx.se on 2010-01-24)
  28. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-01-24)
  29. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-23)
  30. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  31. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  32. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  33. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-21)
  34. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  35. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  36. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  37. [VER 2] {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-21)
  38. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  39. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-01-21)
  40. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from singer@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  41. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-20)
  42. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  43. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-20)
  44. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-16)
  45. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-16)
  46. Re: Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-16)
  47. Request for group input on ISSUE-83 (figure and details captions) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-16)
  48. (not really) Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from 1981km@gmail.com on 2010-01-15)
  49. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-01-15)
  50. Re: (not really) Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-14)
  51. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-01-14)
  52. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-14)
  53. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-14)
  54. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-01-14)
  55. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com on 2010-01-14)
  56. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-14)
  57. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-01-14)
  58. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-14)
  59. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from brucel@opera.com on 2010-01-14)
  60. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-01-14)
  61. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-14)
  62. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from jgraham@opera.com on 2010-01-14)
  63. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-14)
  64. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-14)
  65. Re: Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-14)
  66. Alternate proposals for ISSUE-83 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-14)
  67. Re: ISSUE-83 alternate Change Proposal - fcaption and dlabel elements (or similar) (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-13)
  68. Re: ISSUE-83 alternate Change Proposal - fcaption and dlabel elements (or similar) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-13)
  69. ISSUE-83 alternate Change Proposal - fcaption and dlabel elements (or similar) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-13)
  70. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-13)
  71. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-13)
  72. Re: Work on Alternate Proposals for ISSUE-83 dt-dd-semantics (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-12)
  73. Re: Work on Alternate Proposals for ISSUE-83 dt-dd-semantics (from brucel@opera.com on 2010-01-12)
  74. Re: Work on Alternate Proposals for ISSUE-83 dt-dd-semantics (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-11)
  75. Re: Work on Alternate Proposals for ISSUE-83 dt-dd-semantics (from brucel@opera.com on 2010-01-11)
  76. Work on Alternate Proposals for ISSUE-83 dt-dd-semantics (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-11)
  77. Re: details should be a child (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-10)
  78. Re: sections removed, current and ongoing (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-09)
  79. Re: sections removed, current and ongoing (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-09)
  80. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  81. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  82. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  83. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  84. Re: ISSUE-83: dt-dd-semantics - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-09)
  85. Re: ISSUE-83: dt-dd-semantics - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-09)
  86. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-09)
  87. Re: ISSUE-83: dt-dd-semantics - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-09)
  88. Re: ISSUE-83: dt-dd-semantics - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-09)
  89. ISSUE-83: dt-dd-semantics - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  90. Minutes HTML WG 3 December 2009 (from cooper@w3.org on 2009-12-03)
  91. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-3: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-02)
  92. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-01)
  93. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-01)
  94. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-01)
  95. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-01)
  96. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-01)
  97. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-01)
  98. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-30)
  99. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-30)
  100. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-28)
  101. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from noreplytopreventspam@blijbol.nl on 2009-11-28)
  102. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from noreplytopreventspam@blijbol.nl on 2009-11-28)
  103. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  104. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  105. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-27)
  106. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  107. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  108. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  109. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  110. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  111. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2009-11-27)
  112. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from noreplytopreventspam@blijbol.nl on 2009-11-26)
  113. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from oradnio@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  114. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  115. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  116. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  117. We now have Atom feeds for all Tracker issues [was: HTML Working Group Decision Policy - for discussion] (from mike@w3.org on 2009-11-17)
  118. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2009-11-12)
  119. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-11)
  120. RE: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from kunter_ilalan@hotmail.com on 2009-11-11)
  121. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-11)
  122. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2009-11-11)
  123. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-11)
  124. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-11)
  125. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-11)
  126. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-11)
  127. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from jgraham@opera.com on 2009-11-11)
  128. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-10)
  129. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-10)
  130. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2009-11-10)
  131. Re: ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-10)
  132. ISSUE-83 ACTION-152 Change Proposal for the use of dt/dd in figure and details (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-11-10)
  133. Re: ISSUE-83 offer to write change proposal (from shelleyp@burningbird.net on 2009-10-10)
  134. Re: ISSUE-83 offer to write change proposal (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-10-10)
  135. ISSUE-83 offer to write change proposal (from shelleyp@burningbird.net on 2009-10-10)
  136. minutes of 2009-10-01 telcon (from mike@w3.org on 2009-10-02)
  137. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-24 - CfCs, Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc. (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-09-30)
  138. [Bug 7657] Redefining dt and dd (from bugzilla@wiggum.w3.org on 2009-09-29)

Related notes:

[MikeSmith]: escalated from http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7657

29 Sep 2009, 04:29:03

[MikeSmith]: see Dean Edwards message at http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-October/023276.html and subsequent thread

5 Oct 2009, 02:32:50

Related email thread: "what is dt?" Shelley Powers
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Sep/thread.html#msg575

Laura Carlson, 5 Oct 2009, 13:29:11

[rubys]: I believe that this is still in process

11 Feb 2010, 17:26:17

This has been closed by amicable resolution.

Maciej Stachowiak, 12 Feb 2010, 02:52:49

Changelog:

Created issue 'Use of the dt and dd elements in figure and details content models' nickname owned by on product , description '' non-public

29 Sep 2009, 04:26:14

nickname changed to 'dt-dd-semantics'

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Sep 2009, 04:37:17

Owner changed to 'Michael(tm) Smith'

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Sep 2009, 04:37:17

Description changed to 'The content models for the <figure> and <details> elements use the <dt> and <dd> elements, but give them different semantics.'

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Sep 2009, 04:37:17

Product changed to HTML 5 spec

Michael[tm] Smith, 29 Sep 2009, 04:37:17

Description changed to 'The content models for the <figure> and <details> elements use the <dt> and <dd> elements, but give them different semantics.

Related bugs:
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7657
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7669'

Michael[tm] Smith, 5 Oct 2009, 04:27:05

Status changed to 'open'

Maciej Stachowiak, 10 Oct 2009, 13:32:15

Description changed to 'The content models for the <figure> and <details> elements use the <dt> and <dd> elements, but give them different semantics.

Related bugs:
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7657
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=7669

Issue 83 ACTION-152 dt/dd Change Proposal by Shelley Powers, November 10, 2009

At burningbird:
http://burningbird.net/node/82

Also in the ESW Wiki:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/DdDt '

Laura Carlson, 11 Nov 2009, 13:24:55

Status changed to 'closed'

11 Feb 2010, 17:27:06


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $