ISSUE-73: Overlap of "predefined vocabularies" with other specifications

predefined-voc

Overlap of "predefined vocabularies" with other specifications

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Julian Reschke
Opened on:
2009-06-03
Description:
Recently, new sections have been added to the spec, defining embedding/extraction of data in various formats, such as vCard, iCalendar, Atom, and BibTex.

The issues mentioned below a primarily about the vCard related stuff, but similar concerns apply to iCalendar and Atom as well (which both are IETF specs as well).

Procedural - the WG is working on trying to find consensus on all
sections of the spec; sections without consensus are to be removed (at
least that's my understanding of the process). Also, the editor himself
announced a "feature freeze" quite some time ago. So, why are we seeing
these new sections without *any* prior discussion?

Spec Size - the spec already is big, and there is no evidence that this
needs to be specified *inside* the HTML5 spec.

Extensibility - the current chapter copies terminology from RFC2426, but
misses it's extensibility hooks, and thus fails to mention things that
have been defined later, such as the IMPP type name.

Parsing - for some types, parsing rules are being rephrased from
RFC2426. There is a risk that they diverge.

Versioning - the IETF is revising vCard, see
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-07>. Is HTML5
going to freeze the vocabulary at a version that the IETF is currently
obsoleting?

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [predefined-vocabularies predefined-vocabularies-0]

-------------------------------------------------------------
PROPOSED RESOLUTION:
Resolved by a spec change that has moved the predefined vocabularies out of HTML5 and into separate drafts, none of which the HTML5 draft references or has any dependency on.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Re: CfC: Publish HTML5, RDFa heartbeats and Microdata, 2D Context and H:TML as FPWDs (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-02-10)
  2. ACTION-166: Recheck status of issues 10 and 73 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-07)
  3. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-73 predefined-voc (ends 2009-12-17) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-03)
  4. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  5. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  6. Re: HTML WG issues scheduled to close Dec 17 comments (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-12)
  7. HTML WG issues scheduled to close Dec 17 comments (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-12-12)
  8. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  9. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  10. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-09)
  11. CfC: Close ISSUE-73 predefined-voc (ends 2009-12-17) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  12. minutes Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces, F2F... (from cooper@w3.org on 2009-10-29)
  13. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces, F2F... (from singer@apple.com on 2009-10-29)
  14. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces, F2F... (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-10-28)
  15. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-10-05)
  16. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from mike@w3.org on 2009-10-05)
  17. ISSUE-73, was: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-10-05)
  18. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from mike@w3.org on 2009-10-05)
  19. Producing Atom (was: Microdata vocabulary specifications) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-10-04)
  20. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-10-04)
  21. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-10-04)
  22. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-10-04)
  23. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2009-10-04)
  24. Re: Microdata vocabulary specifications (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-10-03)
  25. Re: ISSUE-73 (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-09-10)
  26. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  27. FW: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  28. ISSUE-73 (was: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-09-09)
  29. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-07-24)
  30. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-07-24)
  31. RE: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-07-23)
  32. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-07-23)
  33. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-07-23)
  34. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-07-21)
  35. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-07-21)
  36. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-07-21)
  37. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-07-21)
  38. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2009-07-16)
  39. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-07-16)
  40. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-07-16)
  41. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from jgraham@opera.com on 2009-07-16)
  42. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-07-16)
  43. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-07-16)
  44. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from jgraham@opera.com on 2009-07-15)
  45. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-07-08)
  46. Re: ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-07-08)
  47. ISSUE-73 (Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications), was: Concerns about new section 'predefined vocabularies' (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-06-10)
  48. ISSUE-73 (predefined-voc): Overlap of 'predefined vocabularies' with other specifications [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2009-06-03)

Related notes:

Related mail thread starts here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009May/0113.html

Julian Reschke, 3 Jun 2009, 11:48:14

Sent summary and pointer to IETF Apps Area, plus vcarddav and calsify mailing lists:

http://lists.osafoundation.org/pipermail/ietf-calsify/2009-August/002199.html

Julian Reschke, 10 Aug 2009, 12:58:38

[MikeSmith]: predefined vocabs have now been moved out of HTML5 and into separate drafts; see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0087.html & http://dev.w3.org/html5/mdvcard/ & http://dev.w3.org/html5/mdvevent/ & http://dev.w3.org/html5/mdwork/ and note that HTML5 does not reference those drafts nor have any dependency on them.

5 Oct 2009, 05:45:09

This was closed by amicable resolution.

Maciej Stachowiak, 5 Jan 2010, 22:28:32

Predefined vocabs show up again in separated-out Microdata proposal (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0042.html)

Julian Reschke, 3 Feb 2010, 10:37:31

Display change log ATOM feed


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $