ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics

image-analysis

image analysis heuristics

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Matthew May
Opened on:
2009-01-15
Description:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-img-element

includes: "User agents may also apply image analysis heuristics to help the user make sense of the image when the user is unable to make direct use of the image,
e.g. due to a visual disability or because they are using a text terminal with no graphics capabilities."

Despite all evidence to the contrary, this suggests that image heuristics algorithms could be used to recover from images with missing @alt. The technology doesn't exist. At all. Not even close. Perhaps it might some day in the distant future, but in such case we won't need the HTML5 spec to tell UA developers to use it. User agents may also use telepathy, social networking, captcha algorithms and altText@home to help the user make sense of the image, but those (currently non-existent) technologies are also not mentioned.

This text should be stricken, because it gives the message that this is viable now. It's not.

Change Proposal: Remove Image Heuristics Paragraph from img Element Section
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/ImageHeuristics

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [the-img-element]
Related Actions Items:
No related actions
Related emails:
  1. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-10-10)
  2. RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-10-10)
  3. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2011-04-18)
  4. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 requirements survey (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2011-04-18)
  5. RE: Request to halt the heartbeat publication of HTML5 WG Draft (from k.scheppe@telekom.de on 2010-06-09)
  6. Request to halt the heartbeat publication of HTML5 WG Draft (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-08)
  7. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-06-04)
  8. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-04)
  9. Re: WG Decision: Publish six heartbeat drafts, as well as Polyglot, Alt Techniques as FPWDs (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-06-04)
  10. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics (from mike@w3.org on 2010-06-03)
  11. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-06-03 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-02)
  12. RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-06-01)
  13. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-01)
  14. RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-06-01)
  15. Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-01)
  16. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-05-27)
  17. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-05-27)
  18. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-05-27)
  19. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-27 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-26)
  20. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-20: Surveys close, Publishing new Working Drafts (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-05-19)
  21. Re: Request for extensions for the upcoming change proposal deadlines (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-05-17)
  22. minutes, 2010-05-13 HTML WG telcon (from mike@w3.org on 2010-05-14)
  23. World-readable issue survey results (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-05-13)
  24. Re: ISSUE-90 - Removing the figure Element - Straw Poll for Objections (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-05-12)
  25. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-05-13: Action items, surveys, Task Force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-05-12)
  26. ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-11)
  27. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-05-06: Action items, issues, decision policy, calls, surveys, publishing - minutes (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-05-06)
  28. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-05-06: Action items, issues, decision policy, calls, surveys, publishing (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-05)
  29. Preparing for Surveys - Ground Rules (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-05-05)
  30. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from steveax@pobox.com on 2010-04-30)
  31. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-30)
  32. RE: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-04-30)
  33. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-04-30)
  34. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-30)
  35. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-04-30)
  36. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-30)
  37. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from jgraham@opera.com on 2010-04-30)
  38. RE: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-04-30)
  39. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from annevk@opera.com on 2010-04-30)
  40. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-29: Action items, new issues, Task Force reports - minutes of the meeting (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-04-29)
  41. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-04-29)
  42. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie on 2010-04-29)
  43. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-04-29)
  44. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from chaals@opera.com on 2010-04-29)
  45. Re: ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-04-29)
  46. ISSUE-66 image-analysis: informal consensus check (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-04-28)
  47. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-22: Action items, issues, decision policy, A11Y recommendations, polyglot spec (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21)
  48. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-22: Action items, issues, decision policy, A11Y recommendations, polyglot spec (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-21)
  49. Fwd: HTML-A11Y Task Force Recommendation: ISSUE-66 image-analysis (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-21)
  50. Minutes of HTML WG meeting, Apr 15 2010 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-04-19)
  51. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-04-15: Action items, issues, decision policy, task forces, TPAC (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-04-14)
  52. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  53. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-24)
  54. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-25: decision policy, issue status, updates from meetings, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-24)
  55. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-03-17)
  56. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-16)
  57. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-16)
  58. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-16)
  59. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: no change (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-16)
  60. Re: Breakdown of issues (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-12)
  61. Breakdown of issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-12)
  62. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from nicholas.stimpson@ntlworld.com on 2010-03-11)
  63. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-11: decision policy, proposals, task forces (from singer@apple.com on 2010-03-11)
  64. RE: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from LMM@acm.org on 2010-03-10)
  65. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-03-10)
  66. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-03-10)
  67. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-10)
  68. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-11: decision policy, proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-03-10)
  69. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-03-10)
  70. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-10)
  71. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  72. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  73. RE: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-03-09)
  74. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-09)
  75. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  76. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  77. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-09)
  78. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-09)
  79. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  80. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-03-09)
  81. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  82. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-09)
  83. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: no change (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  84. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  85. Re: ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: no change (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-03-09)
  86. ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: be more explicit about potential repair techniques (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-09)
  87. ISSUE-66 Change Proposal: no change (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-03-09)
  88. [minutes] HTML WG 2010004 (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-04)
  89. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-04: actions, publications, decision policy, issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-03)
  90. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-03-04: actions, publications, decision policy, issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-03-03)
  91. Minutes HTML WG 11 February 2010 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-11)
  92. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from dboudreau@webconforme.com on 2010-02-10)
  93. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-02-10)
  94. Re: ISSUE-66: image-analysis - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from 1981km@gmail.com on 2010-02-10)
  95. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  96. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-11: actions, issues, publication, decision policy, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-02-10)
  97. ISSUE-66: image-analysis - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-10)
  98. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-02-09)
  99. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-09)
  100. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-08)
  101. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-02-08)
  102. RE: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-02-08)
  103. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-02-08)
  104. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-02-08)
  105. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-02-08)
  106. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-02-08)
  107. Conflict of Constituents (was RE: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66)) (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-02-08)
  108. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-08)
  109. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-02-08)
  110. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-08)
  111. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-08)
  112. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-08)
  113. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-08)
  114. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-08)
  115. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-08)
  116. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-08)
  117. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-07)
  118. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-07)
  119. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from bzbarsky@MIT.EDU on 2010-02-07)
  120. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-02-07)
  121. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-02-07)
  122. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-02-07)
  123. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-07)
  124. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-07)
  125. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-02-07)
  126. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-07)
  127. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from 1981km@gmail.com on 2010-02-07)
  128. RE: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-02-06)
  129. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-06)
  130. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-06)
  131. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-06)
  132. RE: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-02-06)
  133. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-02-06)
  134. RE: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-02-06)
  135. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-02-06)
  136. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-06)
  137. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-02-06)
  138. RE: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-02-05)
  139. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-02-05)
  140. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-05)
  141. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-02-05)
  142. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-02-05)
  143. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-05)
  144. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-02-05)
  145. Re: 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-05)
  146. 'image analysis heuristics' (ISSUE-66) (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-02-05)
  147. Minutes HTML WG 4 February 2010 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-02-04)
  148. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-02: actions, issues, publication, F2F, decision process, licensing (from singer@apple.com on 2010-02-03)
  149. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-02-02: actions, issues, publication, F2F, decision process, licensing (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-02-03)
  150. Re: Next issues to move forward on (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-29)
  151. Re: Next issues to move forward on (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-28)
  152. Re: Next issues to move forward on (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-28)
  153. Re: <summary> not for table (was Re: Next issues to move forward on) (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-01-28)
  154. Re: Next issues to move forward on (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-01-27)
  155. Re: Next issues to move forward on (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-27)
  156. Next issues to move forward on (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-27)
  157. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-28: (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-27)
  158. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-24)
  159. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  160. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  161. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-24)
  162. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  163. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  164. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-24)
  165. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from chaals@opera.com on 2010-01-24)
  166. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-01-23)
  167. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-01-23)
  168. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-23)
  169. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-23)
  170. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-01-23)
  171. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-01-22)
  172. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-22)
  173. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-22)
  174. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-22)
  175. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-01-22)
  176. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from singer@apple.com on 2010-01-22)
  177. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-22)
  178. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-01-22)
  179. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from Smylers@stripey.com on 2010-01-22)
  180. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from singer@apple.com on 2010-01-22)
  181. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from 1981km@gmail.com on 2010-01-22)
  182. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  183. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-01-21)
  184. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-01-21)
  185. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  186. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-01-21)
  187. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  188. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-01-21)
  189. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2010-01-21)
  190. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  191. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-01-21)
  192. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  193. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  194. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-21)
  195. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  196. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-01-21)
  197. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  198. [VER 2] {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-21: AIs, CfC/CfPs, and heartbeat docs (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-01-21)
  199. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-01-21)
  200. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from dboudreau@webconforme.com on 2010-01-21)
  201. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie on 2010-01-21)
  202. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from Kelly.Ford@microsoft.com on 2010-01-21)
  203. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  204. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  205. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-21)
  206. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jonas@sicking.cc on 2010-01-21)
  207. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-01-21)
  208. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2010-01-21)
  209. Re: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jackalmage@gmail.com on 2010-01-20)
  210. RE: Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-01-20)
  211. Discussion on Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-20)
  212. Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-16)
  213. Change Proposal for ISSUE-66 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2010-01-15)
  214. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2010-01-13)
  215. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2010-01-14: AIs, CfC/CfPs, TFs, plus: heartbeat docs (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-01-13)
  216. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from ishida@w3.org on 2010-01-11)
  217. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-01-07 (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-06)
  218. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  219. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  220. Re: ISSUE-66: image-analysis - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2009-12-10)
  221. Re: ISSUE-66: image-analysis - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-10)
  222. Re: ISSUE-66: image-analysis - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2009-12-10)
  223. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  224. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  225. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-09)
  226. ISSUE-66: image-analysis - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  227. {minutes} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-27 (from annevk@opera.com on 2009-08-27)
  228. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-27 *PLEASE-READ* (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-26)
  229. Re: ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2009-08-21)
  230. Re: ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-21)
  231. Re: ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-21)
  232. Re: ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from smedero@uw.edu on 2009-08-21)
  233. Re: ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from mattmay@adobe.com on 2009-08-21)
  234. ISSUE-66: image analysis heuristics - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-20)
  235. ISSUE-66 image analysis heuristics (from rob@robburns.com on 2009-02-05)
  236. [Minutes] HTML Weekly Teleconference 05 February 2009 (from karl+w3c@la-grange.net on 2009-02-05)

Related notes:

Moved to OPEN because we now have a Change Proposal.

Maciej Stachowiak, 19 Jan 2010, 18:52:50

[paulc]: there are 2 counter proposals which means we have a total of 3 proposals.

11 Mar 2010, 17:07:58

ISSUE-66: Straw Poll for Objections
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-66-objection-poll/results ISSUE-66

Laura Carlson, 28 May 2010, 14:42:20

[MikeSmith]: MikeSmith raised HTML a11y TF action 46, to work with WAI UAWG to find home for "image analysis heuristics" text - http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/46

2 Jun 2010, 06:06:32

Working Group Decision on ISSUE-66 - Image Analysis Heuristics
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0001.html

Laura Carlson, 3 Jun 2010, 17:56:37

Bug 9835: Remove image analysis Reported by Sam Ruby, June 2, 2010.

"Remove 'User agents may also apply heuristics to help the user make use of the image when the user is unable to see it, e.g. due to a visual disability or because they are using a text terminal with no graphics capabilities. Such heuristics could include, for instance, optical character recognition (OCR) of text found within the image.'"
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9835

Laura Carlson, 3 Jun 2010, 17:59:01

Changelog:

Created issue 'image analysis heuristics' nickname owned by Matthew May on product HTML 5 spec, description 'http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-img-element

includes: "User agents may also apply image analysis heuristics to help the user make sense of the image when the user is unable to make direct use of the image,
e.g. due to a visual disability or because they are using a text terminal with no graphics capabilities."

Despite all evidence to the contrary, this suggests that image heuristics algorithms could be used to recover from images with missing @alt. The technology doesn't exist. At all. Not even close. Perhaps it might some day in the distant future, but in such case we won't need the HTML5 spec to tell UA developers to use it. User agents may also use telepathy, social networking, captcha algorithms and altText@home to help the user make sense of the image, but those (currently non-existent) technologies are also not mentioned.

This text should be stricken, because it gives the message that this is viable now. It's not.


' non-public

Larry Masinter, 15 Jan 2009, 21:53:42

nickname changed to 'image-analysis'

James Graham, 22 Aug 2009, 10:39:05

Description changed to 'http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-img-element

includes: "User agents may also apply image analysis heuristics to help the user make sense of the image when the user is unable to make direct use of the image,
e.g. due to a visual disability or because they are using a text terminal with no graphics capabilities."

Despite all evidence to the contrary, this suggests that image heuristics algorithms could be used to recover from images with missing @alt. The technology doesn't exist. At all. Not even close. Perhaps it might some day in the distant future, but in such case we won't need the HTML5 spec to tell UA developers to use it. User agents may also use telepathy, social networking, captcha algorithms and altText@home to help the user make sense of the image, but those (currently non-existent) technologies are also not mentioned.

This text should be stricken, because it gives the message that this is viable now. It's not.

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [the-img-element]
'

James Graham, 22 Aug 2009, 10:39:05

Status changed to 'open'

Maciej Stachowiak, 19 Jan 2010, 18:52:50

Description changed to 'http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-img-element

includes: "User agents may also apply image analysis heuristics to help the user make sense of the image when the user is unable to make direct use of the image,
e.g. due to a visual disability or because they are using a text terminal with no graphics capabilities."

Despite all evidence to the contrary, this suggests that image heuristics algorithms could be used to recover from images with missing @alt. The technology doesn't exist. At all. Not even close. Perhaps it might some day in the distant future, but in such case we won't need the HTML5 spec to tell UA developers to use it. User agents may also use telepathy, social networking, captcha algorithms and altText@home to help the user make sense of the image, but those (currently non-existent) technologies are also not mentioned.

This text should be stricken, because it gives the message that this is viable now. It's not.

Change Proposal: Remove Image Heuristics Paragraph from img Element Section
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ChangeProposals/ImageHeuristics

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [the-img-element]
'

Laura Carlson, 5 Feb 2010, 13:54:57

Status changed to 'closed'

Sam Ruby, 6 Jun 2010, 15:00:20


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $