ISSUE-194: Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element.

full-transcript

Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element.

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Steve Faulkner
Opened on:
2012-01-13
Description:
raised from bug https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12964

Full transcripts give people with disabilities a way to access audio/video
content. Transcripts are often provided as a separate resource, because they're
often too lengthy to be included on the same page as the audio/video they're
associated with.

A mechanism that creates an association between an audio/video element and a
full (off page) transcript would have many benefits. These include
discoverability for assistive technology users, programmatic identification for
search engine indexing, design asthetic, and content syndication or
embedding..
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Re: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-11-15- Actions, CR drafts, FPWD for main, Task Force reports (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-11-16)
  2. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-11-15- Actions, CR drafts, FPWD for main, Task Force reports (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-11-15)
  3. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-09-21)
  4. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-09-21)
  5. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-09-20)
  6. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-09-20)
  7. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-09-20)
  8. RE: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-09-20)
  9. Re: Getting HTML5 to Recommendation in 2014 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-09-20)
  10. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-02 - action items, issues and decisions (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-08-02)
  11. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-08-02 - action items, issues and decisions (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-08-01)
  12. RE: A request concerning a11y related emails (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-28)
  13. RE: A request concerning a11y related emails (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-07-27)
  14. [minutes] 20120726 HTML WG (from plh@w3.org on 2012-07-27)
  15. Response: Straw Poll for Issue 194 (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-07-26)
  16. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-26 - issues, decisions and task force reports (from krisk@microsoft.com on 2012-07-26)
  17. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-26 - issues, decisions and task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-25)
  18. Re: ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-07-19)
  19. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-19 - issues, decisions and surveys (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-07-19)
  20. Re: FW: ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2012-07-19)
  21. RE: FW: ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-19)
  22. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-19 - issues, decisions and surveys (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-18)
  23. Re: FW: ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2012-07-18)
  24. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-11 - actions, issues, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-13)
  25. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-11 - actions, issues, task force reports (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-13)
  26. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-11 - actions, issues, task force reports (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-13)
  27. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-11 - actions, issues, task force reports (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-13)
  28. RE: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Straw Poll for Objections (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-13)
  29. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Straw Poll for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2012-07-12)
  30. ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Straw Poll for Objections (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-07-12)
  31. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-07-11 - actions, issues, task force reports (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-07-12)
  32. Re: ISSUE-194 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-07-09)
  33. RE: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-09)
  34. Re: ISSUE-194 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-07-09)
  35. Re: ISSUE-194 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-07-09)
  36. RE: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-09)
  37. Re: ISSUE-194 (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-07-06)
  38. Re: 答复: ISSUE-194 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-07-06)
  39. 答复: 答复: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-06)
  40. 答复: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-06)
  41. 答复: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-06)
  42. 答复: 答复: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-06)
  43. RE: 答复: ISSUE-194 (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-07-05)
  44. Re: 答复: ISSUE-194 (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-07-05)
  45. 答复: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-05)
  46. 答复: ISSUE-194 (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-07-05)
  47. Re: ISSUE-194 (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-07-02)
  48. Re: ISSUE-194 (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-06-30)
  49. Re: ISSUE-194 (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-06-29)
  50. ISSUE-194 (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-06-29)
  51. [minutes] 20120621 HTML Working Group (from plh@w3.org on 2012-06-22)
  52. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-21 - actions, issues, surveys, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-06-22)
  53. 答复: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-21 - actions, issues, surveys, task force reports (from eric.sun@huawei.com on 2012-06-21)
  54. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-21 - actions, issues, surveys, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-06-20)
  55. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-06-07 - actions, issues, task force reports (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-06-07)
  56. RE: transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-06-01)
  57. Re: transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-06-01)
  58. RE: transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-06-01)
  59. RE: transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com on 2012-06-01)
  60. Re: transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-06-01)
  61. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-31 - issues, straw poll, re-open request, W3C system outage (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-05-31)
  62. Re: transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-05-31)
  63. RE: transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-05-31)
  64. transcript='' proposal (ACTION-211 for ISSUE-194) (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-05-30)
  65. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-31 - issues, straw poll, re-open request, W3C system outage (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-05-30)
  66. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-24 - issues, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-05-24)
  67. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-24 - issues, task force reports (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-05-23)
  68. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-24 - issues, task force reports (from krisk@microsoft.com on 2012-05-23)
  69. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-24 - issues, task force reports (from Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com on 2012-05-23)
  70. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-24 - issues, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-05-23)
  71. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-17: action items, issues, and other business (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2012-05-18)
  72. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-10 (from krisk@microsoft.com on 2012-05-17)
  73. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-17: action items, issues, and other business (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-05-17)
  74. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-17: action items, issues, and other business (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2012-05-16)
  75. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-17: action items, issues, and other business (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-05-16)
  76. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-05-10 (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-05-09)
  77. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-04-19: issues, decisions, TF reports, Change Proposal reviews (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-04-19)
  78. RE: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-04-19: issues, decisions, TF reports, Change Proposal reviews (from Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com on 2012-04-18)
  79. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-04-19: issues, decisions, TF reports, Change Proposal reviews (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-04-18)
  80. Chair review of the issue-194 change proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-04-17)
  81. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-04-12: issues, survey, decisions, Media TF, and F2F (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-04-12)
  82. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-04-12: issues, survey, decisions, Media TF, and F2F (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-04-10)
  83. Re: ISSUE-158: object-content-model - Straw Poll for Objections (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2012-04-10)
  84. Re: ISSUE-158: object-content-model - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-04-09)
  85. Re: ISSUE-158: object-content-model - Straw Poll for Objections (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-04-09)
  86. Re: ISSUE-158: object-content-model - Straw Poll for Objections (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-04-09)
  87. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-04-05)
  88. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-04-05: issues, survey, decisions, TF reports, F2F, Media TF, ... (from krisk@microsoft.com on 2012-04-05)
  89. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-04-05: issues, survey, decisions, TF reports, F2F, Media TF, ... (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-04-04)
  90. Re: ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-03-30)
  91. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-29: issue progress, heartbeat publications and revert request, change proposal reviews, upcoming straw poll (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-03-29)
  92. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-29: issue progress, heartbeat publications and revert request, change proposal reviews, upcoming straw poll (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-28)
  93. [html-chairs] draft agenda and discussion items (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-26)
  94. RE: ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-22)
  95. RE: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-03-22)
  96. Re: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-22 (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-22)
  97. {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-22 (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-03-22)
  98. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-03-22)
  99. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-03-22)
  100. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-03-21)
  101. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-03-21)
  102. RE: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-03-21)
  103. Re: ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-03-21)
  104. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from eoconnor@apple.com on 2012-03-21)
  105. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-22: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, revert request, F2F registration, task force reports (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-03-21)
  106. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, other topics (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2012-03-15)
  107. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from chaals@opera.com on 2012-03-15)
  108. RE: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com on 2012-03-15)
  109. RE: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com on 2012-03-15)
  110. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2012-03-15)
  111. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from chaals@opera.com on 2012-03-15)
  112. RE: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from john@foliot.ca on 2012-03-15)
  113. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-03-15)
  114. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-03-15)
  115. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-03-15)
  116. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-03-15)
  117. RE: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com on 2012-03-15)
  118. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com on 2012-03-15)
  119. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-03-15)
  120. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com on 2012-03-15)
  121. Re: ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-03-14)
  122. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-03-08: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, other topics (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-03-14)
  123. [Minutes] (HTML WG telecon 2012-02-23: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, task force reports) (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-02-23)
  124. [Minutes] (HTML WG telecon 2012-02-23: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, task force reports) (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-02-23)
  125. FW: counter proposal for issue 185 (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-02-22)
  126. Re: HTML WG telecon 2012-02-16: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from ian@iandevlin.com on 2012-02-22)
  127. HTML WG telecon 2012-02-16: issue progress, heartbeat drafts, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-02-21)
  128. ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2012-02-21)
  129. [minutes] HTML WG telecon 2012-02-16: issue progress (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-02-16)
  130. Re: Change Proposal for Issue 194 (from janina@rednote.net on 2012-02-15)
  131. HTML WG telecon 2012-02-16: issue progress (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-02-15)
  132. RE: {minutes} HTML WG telecon 2012-02-09: issue progress, task force reports, revert request, new information deadline, F2F (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2012-02-09)
  133. HTML WG telecon 2012-02-09: issue progress, task force reports, revert request, new information deadline, F2F (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-02-07)
  134. Re: Revised Timeline and New Bug Priority Policy (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-01-23)
  135. HTML WG Minutes (Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-19: issue progress, other business) (from glenn@skynav.com on 2012-01-19)
  136. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-19: issue progress, other business (from janina@rednote.net on 2012-01-18)
  137. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2012-01-19: issue progress, other business (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2012-01-18)
  138. ISSUE-194: full-transcript - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2012-01-16)
  139. HTML-ISSUE-194: Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element. [pre-LC1 HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2012-01-13)

Related notes:

[glenn]: full-transcript call for Change Proposals closed Feb 15

23 Feb 2012, 17:03:56

[glenn]: full-transcript, Call for Alternate or Counter Proposals closes Mar 21

23 Feb 2012, 17:07:41

[glenn]: full-transcript, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21

22 Mar 2012, 16:05:55

[krisk]: full-transcript, Call for Counter Proposals extension closes Apr 5

5 Apr 2012, 16:09:21

[glenn]: full-transcript: change proposal reviews

19 Apr 2012, 16:11:45

WG Decisions to pursue this issue as extension specifications, with the possibility of reintegration into HTML 5.0, 5.1, or 5.2 per the reintegration policy: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Oct/0105.html

Sam Ruby, 18 Jan 2013, 16:08:11

Changelog:

Created issue 'Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element.' nickname owned by Steve Faulkner on product pre-LC1 HTML 5 spec, description 'raised from bug https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12964

Full transcripts give people with disabilities a way to access audio/video
content. Transcripts are often provided as a separate resource, because they're
often too lengthy to be included on the same page as the audio/video they're
associated with.

A mechanism that creates an association between an audio/video element and a
full (off page) transcript would have many benefits. These include
discoverability for assistive technology users, programmatic identification for
search engine indexing, design asthetic, and content syndication or
embedding..' non-public

Steve Faulkner, 13 Jan 2012, 21:18:48

nickname changed to 'full-transcript'

Sam Ruby, 13 Jan 2012, 22:05:46

Status changed to 'open'

Philippe Le Hégaret, 17 Jan 2012, 13:14:39

Product changed to HTML 5 spec

Philippe Le Hégaret, 17 Jan 2012, 18:50:16

Status changed to 'raised'

Philippe Le Hégaret, 17 Jan 2012, 19:14:09

Status changed to 'open'

Sam Ruby, 13 Feb 2012, 15:16:46

Status changed to 'closed'

Sam Ruby, 18 Jan 2013, 16:08:11


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $