ISSUE-116: provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec

text-alternative

provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Steve Faulkner
Opened on:
2010-06-11
Description:
I raised the issue as a bug(see below) and asked the editor to respond:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0196.html

his response did not answer the request in the bug.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0212.html

I have sent two follow ups:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0214.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jun/0268.html

I do not beleive that it is beyond the editors capacity to respond to my request, in a timely fashion. So am escalating this to an issue.

provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9845
the working group have agreed to publish

HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/


It contains normative author conformance requirements and informative
advice,examples and references which are meant as a replacement for
the content in the sections from:
4.8.1.1 Requirements for providing text to act as an alternative for images
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-1.html#alt
up to and including
4.8.1.1.12 General guidelines
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/embedded-content-1.html#general-guidelines

I think would be prudent and appropriate if both documents (HTML5 and
HTML5: alt) provided clear neutral information about the existance of
the other and how they relate.

For the HTML5 spec I suggest that such information be placed at the
start of section '4.8.1.1 Requirements for providing text to act as an
alternative for images'
Related Actions Items:
No related actions
Related emails:
  1. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-09-23 status of calls, issues and bugs, TPAC F2F (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-09-23)
  2. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-09-23 status of calls, issues and bugs, TPAC F2F (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-09-22)
  3. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-116 text-alternative by Amicable Consensus (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-09-16)
  4. RE: {minutes} HTML WG Telecon 2010-09-09 - LC timeline, distributed extensibility, media accessibility (from adrianba@microsoft.com on 2010-09-09)
  5. {agenda} HTML WG Telecon 2010-09-09 - LC timeline, distributed extensibility, media accessibility (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-09-08)
  6. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-116 text-alternative by Amicable Consensus (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-09-07)
  7. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-116 text-alternative by Amicable Consensus (from annevk@opera.com on 2010-09-07)
  8. CfC: Close ISSUE-116 text-alternative by Amicable Consensus (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-09-07)
  9. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-09-07)
  10. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-09-06)
  11. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-09-02, action items, media accessibility requirements overview (from janina@rednote.net on 2010-09-02)
  12. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-09-02, action items, media accessibility requirements overview (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-08-31)
  13. {minutes} } HTML WG telecon 2010-08-26, action items, state of various issues (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-08-27)
  14. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-26)
  15. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-26)
  16. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-26)
  17. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-26)
  18. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-26)
  19. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-26)
  20. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no on 2010-08-26)
  21. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-25)
  22. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-25)
  23. RE: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from jfoliot@stanford.edu on 2010-08-25)
  24. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-26, action items, state of various issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-08-25)
  25. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-25)
  26. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-25)
  27. Re: ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from glsimpso@indiana.edu on 2010-08-25)
  28. ISSUE-116: Would a separate document work? (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-25)
  29. ISSUE-116, was: change proposal: Specification of authoring conformance requirments in HTML5 (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2010-08-17)
  30. [Bug 9845] provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec (from bugzilla@jessica.w3.org on 2010-08-17)
  31. {agenda} HTML WG telecon 2010-08-12: action 29; issues 116, 30, 109, 27; bugs 9894, 10066 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-11)
  32. Re: request to re-open http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/116 (from lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au on 2010-08-11)
  33. Re: request to re-open http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/116 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-08-11)
  34. request to re-open http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/116 (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-08-08)
  35. Re: ISSUE-116: provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec [HTML 5 spec] (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-06-11)
  36. Re: ISSUE-116: provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec [HTML 5 spec] (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-06-11)
  37. Re: ISSUE-116: provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec [HTML 5 spec] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-06-11)
  38. Re: ISSUE-116: provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec [HTML 5 spec] (from faulkner.steve@gmail.com on 2010-06-11)
  39. Re: ISSUE-116: provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec [HTML 5 spec] (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-06-11)
  40. ISSUE-116: provide reference and info about HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives in html5 spec [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2010-06-11)

Related notes:

No additional notes.

Display change log ATOM feed


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $