W3C logo Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) logo > EOWG Home > EOWG Minutes

EOWG Meeting, 30 November 2001


Agenda for today's call

Outreach Updates & Intros

SH: Says a little about herself, currently at Dartmouth and written two books on web design.

JB: Goes over meeting agenda. In regard to the Implementation Plan for Web Accessibility Judy has a new idea about editing the plan.

HB: I have received a private e-mail from Germany; do we want to address that? They are looking for contacts about Web Accessibility.

JB: Please forward to me. I have received a number of such requests from Germany, and I can get the writer contact information.

SD: At a Dartmouth Consortium Conference "Teaching All Students: Using Universal Instructional Design to Reach a Diverse Student Body." which includes participation among others, Harvard, Stanford, etc., I will give an afternoon session "Accessible Web Design & Adaptive Technology." This will happen on December 11.

JB: Contact Jutta Treviranus of the Authoring Tool work group. She may have some contributions to make to your talk.

Updates on Deliverables

JB: On the deliverables updates, Benefits of Web Accessibility, Evaluating Web Pages for Accessibility, and feedback told us, and Developing Organizational policies and were almost ready. The training resource suite needs editing. Question, make a few more changes and send it out?

HB: These deserve to be out there.

JB: Keep up a fast pace of cycling the documents for review! I've talked to Daniel Dardailler about the translations. Evaluating web sites might evolve a support layer of a suite of things.

Discussion about EOWG priorities January - June 2002

JB: Let's brainstorm about the priorities next year. Some things that are priorities, edits, tools list, evaluating web sites, business case follows the implementation plan when that is finished. We need to split tasks and keep writing. Clean up how people with disabilities use the web.

SH: How about a demographics document?

JB: Yes that is appropriate to include in this discussion. Companion pieces for the business case? Valerie Fletcher said she would help with that. She has access to some international statistics and demographics. Also on the priorities, Software selection, a list of modules for the Implementation Plan, redoing the curriculum (Chuck Letourneau had some ideas there), authoring tools and user agents, more user oriented materials, and online presentations for disabled with limited technical backgrounds, a gallery of templates or tutorials of accessible site.

HB: Can some of that authoring tool work come out of the authoring tools group?

JB: Yes. Comments about what are priorities?

DS: Demographics document.


JB: A rolling FAQ with experiments with the format. & Myths.

SH: Can we have an education module?

JB: That brings up the discussion once again about what the business benefits can do. What is generic and what is specific. Is there enough content there that would be relevant to education.

HB: Government guideline document? Kathleen might have something to contribute to that. The political advantage of what we have to offer government.

JB: Let's talk about high priorities, they would come up in December and January to clean up remaining work, Getting Started, revising the implementation plan, with companion pieces - editing and evaluating web sites, revising how people with disabilities use the web, revise the existing tools for authoring, user agent side. Then on to the next level of priorities, demographics, gallery, rolling FAQ, etc.

SD: We need a translation of how disabled people use the web.

JMD: I use the curriculum of web accessibility and it would be good to update it. I would like to see the document translated into French. I'm interested working on people with disabilities using the web.

JB: We could have more material with details about how to fix pages? Lets keep on working commenting during the week.

Implementation Plan for Web Accessibility

Implementation Plan for Web Accessibility

On the Implementation Plan page the labels are confusing, which we could change to the ends of sentences, and not bold.

SH: That is a good idea. The reader can find what they need more readily by not narrowing the sense with so definite wording.

JB: This would take about two and half hours to do, which would force a re-examination to make it more consistent in wording. When we revise we still want a unified document.

HB: How about using style sheet to create classes of the document?

JB: I have another idea to make some more generic, then use the style sheets to reveal the more explicit environments. Maybe we can experiment with this in the context of the re-examination.

Planning face to face meetings

Face to Face meetings item on the agenda. We have time reserved at W3C Technical Plenary in Nice for 2/28/01 and 3/1/01. We have four possibilities, regular meeting, and superset of best practices, link up with internationalization, day of discussion of exchanging information with European attendees about European projects.

DS: Demographics?

JB: To have that ready for discussion at the meeting? Not likely to have a lot of experts on demographics, but to have some feedback on what the demographics we present come across. We would have observers also from W3C working groups, like internationalization, semantic web, and purely technical groups.

At the CSUN meeting in late March there will be authoring tools on Monday and Tuesday. WCAG won't be there. QA is available on Friday. Also multi modal might be available.

SH: How about something about day-to-day web design guidelines for web designers.

JB: I added that to the EOWG wish list. We could possibly meet in March with web content group. Specifically ask the internationalization for a joint discussion with us about common issues. super set discussion, promotion etc.

DS: How about adding bi-directional conflicting language script problems for screen readers?

JB: Ok and the default topic brainstorming about best practices for accessibility.

SH: Could you explain the super set concept?

JB: It is a way to explore the common ground between the groups, so we don't want to pin it down too much. Possible areas would be internationalization, privacy, and device independence, helping web designers, which would give us room to find something together. I'll set up Friday meeting as an exchange of info and talk to the internationalization group part of the day. Wendy Chisholm will be there from WAI on web design. We could have joint meeting on Saturday afternoon?

SH: More time possible for the meeting?

JB: Sunday morning. Have the EOWG-only meeting in the afternoon.

SH: Yes. We could take guidelines that aren't understood and translate them for people who do design work. We could show code examples where the screen reader can't read it right, and sounds good.

JB: The curriculum is intended for web designers. One focus is web design, or rolling FAQ.

HB: have a good start at the FAQ document before the meeting.

JB: Get the Business case ready for serious revision. To wrap up, we have meetings scheduled for Friday December 7th, Wednesday December 12th, Friday the 14th, and the next Friday December 21st.

Last revised 30 November, 2001 by Judy Brewer

Copyright  ©  1998 - 2001 W3C (MIT, INRIA, Keio ), All Rights Reserved. W3C liability, trademark, document use and software licensing rules apply. Your interactions with this site are in accordance with our public and Member privacy statements.