Re: Bug in XSV? ... reference without <import>

"Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> They are right, XSV is wrong.  This is _not_ a "you can wait until
> runtime" issue.

In an instance document, schemaLocation is optional.  As Noah always
reminds me, "schemaLocation is just a hint to a schema validator".  If
schemaLocation is optional in the instance document, then it seems
reasonable that an <import> element should be optional in a schema.

It's too bad that it is not a "wait till runtime" issue.  That
capability would have provided a lot of power.  Without this capability
there is no way to create an element with a simpleType (e.g., sensors)
that can be extended by another schema - for example the boston_sensors
are barometer, thermometer, and anenometer.  For the London weather
station they need to extend the simpleType to include a hygrometer.  A
"dangling type" provided an ideal mechanism for implementing this
"replaceable simpleType".  I don't believe that that there is any way to
implement this capability.  /Roger