Re: LANG: compliance levels

I agree with most/all of what Deb says. I would just like to emphasise
that I believe that existential restriction (hasClass) is really what
users need to express in many applications, not just in medicine. For
example, when describing physical objects in general, it seems natural
to state that they have certain characteristics or are made up of
certain components: a Computer's components might be said include
keyboard, screen, cpu etc. These are obviously existential
restrictions: there exists some part/component that hasClass Keyboard,
Screen, Cpu etc.

Universal (toClass) restrictions are often more difficult to
use/understand as they have the "strange" characteristic that they are
satisfied in the case where the property in question provably does not
exist. Moreover, hasClass + singleValued property leads to an implicit
toClass constraint (e.g., if I have an age that is an integer and I
have at most 1 age, then all my ages are integers), which is a very
common idiom; this cannot be expressed using only toClass constraints
as the singleValuedness of a property is equivalent to a maximum
cardinality restriction, and does not imply existence (e.g., if all my
ages are integers and I have at most 1 age, then there is nothing to
say that I have any age at all).

I am, however, prepared to believe that toClass restrictions are all
that is required in many applications. The two types of restriction
thus exemplify the problem I pointed out in my earlier email: that it
is difficult/impossible to find a total ordering on OWL constructs
that makes sense in all applications. The solution being suggested by
the current proposal is to make OWL level 1 compliance easy to achieve
and leave it to "the market" to determine which extra features tool
developers will need to provide in order to meet the requirements of
various application domains. The alternative seems to be to define a
partially ordered hierarchy of OWL compliance levels, and this does
not look like a very attractive solution!

Regards, Ian