Re: SEM DESIDERATA: my initial desiderata list

>Several questions/clarifications:
>

>In http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Mar/0173.html, "Peter
>F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:
>
>>                  Potential Desiderata for the Web Ontology Language
>
>I (LAS) include only those potential desiderata on which I have something to
>say/ask.
>
>>  Syntax:
>>
>>  1/ Syntax is (equivalent to) n-triples (i.e., RDF syntax).
>>     All syntax (except, maybe, datatypes) is carried in triples.
>
>Pretty clearly we will need *some* sort of (unordered) listing/grouping
>construct that is bounded, i.e., defines a list/group containing *exactly* the
>listed/grouped elements.  daml:collection was one attempt to provide such a
>thing.  I don't believe we can avoid having such a thing.  (BTW, I also
>believe that adding such a thing to RDF's semantics may cause problems as it
>essentially introduces negation.  Pat?)

I have already replied to this with a suggestion about how to do it,
but I have a more radical suggestion. We *don't need* such a
construction. All we need is the ability to use some RDF triples to
encode OWL syntax without those triples being asserted in the RDF
graph. Then, how we make use of them to do the encoding is entirely
up to us, and it can be quite arbitrary: it doesn't have to be
something like an RDF description of a data structure that encodes
the OWL syntax, it can just be a direct rendering of the syntax into
triples according to some convention of our choosing, perhaps
involving 'dereferencing' some urirefs of other RDF-triple sets to
encode syntactic substructure (as Jos does in Euler) or inventing a
triples encoding of an N3-style context mechanism. We aren't obliged
to have a rational RDF description of OWL syntactic datatstructures.
In fact, I think it would be better not to, since this way of doing
things tend to actually encourage use/mention confusions, eg the use
of daml:list makes it seem like DAML is *describing* its own syntax
in RDF.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes