Re: Focus on a new page

I'm curious about this question as it applies to single-page
applications-style web sites, where the base URL doesn't change, but the
content of the previous page is "blown away" and replaced by the content of
the new page. Let's call them pages A and B. If on page A there is a
control that causes page A to be replaced with page B, then the currently
focused element is removed from the DOM, along with the rest of page A.
Screen reader users will hear nothing, and if they try navigating "forward"
they will be at roughly the same distance from the top of page B as they
were from the top of page A (that's been my experience, anyway.) Navigating
forward, they may just encounter the footer, but no matter what they
encounter it will be confusing to be at some random point in the page B
content.

My question is when changing views in a single-page application-style web
site, where should focus be placed? I specify "web site" to differentiate
from a single page application that is simply a series of form views.