RE: SC 4.1.1 and WCAG 2.0

There was a substantial amount of discussion about how the change would affect backwards compatibility. The group did reach consensus that insisting on meeting 4.1.1 wasn't helpful, but failed to reach consensus on stating clearly that there is a technical incompatilibity - you can meet 2.2 without meeting 2.0 by not fulfilling the 2.0 requirements of SC 4.1.1 - even though the real world impact on accessibility is no longer relevant.

The reason we believe it makes no concrete difference is because for about a decade we have had standard handling for whatever code you find, widely deployed and part of normal tooling.

Technically speaking, unless we change WCAG 2.0, some people might continue to insist on what amounts to a useful basic quality process as if it were the real problem it used to be of not being able to predict how content would be presented.

I suggest, our guidance should be "if you're still stuck on the WCAG 2.0 spec (despite a valuable replacement being publish 5 years ago, with its replacement in turn available now, you should probably stop insisting that you harm accessibility unless you meet 4.1.1. It's not bad to meet the requirement, it's just no longer an accessibility issue if you don't".

Formally updating WCAG 2.0 to note that the requirement can be considered as met, since browsers now fix the problem, or some such procedure, would be vaguely useful. Understanding the difference in uncertainty between "we changed stuff between last week and this week", and "things have changed over the 18 years since WCAG 2.0 was published" is important - regulators need guidance that includes recognising that rulemaking like it's 1999 can be counter-productive when conditions fundamentally change.

cheers