Re: Pre-CFC - Updating "programmatically determined link context"

Hey Alastair,
I'm just putting this side by side with the corresponding ACT rule Link in
context is descriptive (
https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/act/rules/5effbb/proposed/#programmatically-determined-link-context
).

Couple things stand out to me. The big one is linking paragraph to the <p>
element. In the testing we did for that rule that didn't seem to matter to
assistive technologies. Screen readers have methods for reading out the
parent text block. Whether that is a p element or not seemed irrelevant.
Unless our testing was wrong (or I'm misremembering?) I don't think we
should be quite so narrow as to limit to only HTML p elements, which is
what we're suggesting by adding that link.

I do agree with listitem over list. That was a thing that had occurred to
the folks working on this ACT Rule too and is already in the rule. One
addition they had also made which should probably be considered as part of
this update is to add aria-describedby. That's one of the most direct ways
to give context to a link.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core & Axe-linter product owner - WCAG 3 Project Manager - Facilitator