Re: CFC - Publish WCAG2ICT First Public Working Draft

Hi Andrew

Can you provide the citations for the studies you are referring to?

I would be good to read them as we work on WCAG 3.

The colorspaces of computers have all changed since WCAG 2,0 days so we need to rework everything anyway.  But It would be good to see the studies you cite.

Also — were they based on the WCAG provisions?   They only state the contrast ratio.
Or were they based on tools?
and did the sites have less contrast for people with color blindness and low vision — or just Lower contrast for normal vision?

Ah... and were they based on how to calculate contrast?
 -One thing I found from this is that there are different camps on how to measure all this
 - and Aries Arditi - a vision scientist with the lighthouse for the blind who did research with low vision users finally said he was not going to get involved with any more of these discussions… since the seem to border on 'religious' discussions at times.
 - but the Oberdorfer Award in Low Vision, was presented by the Association for Research in Vision andOphthalmology (ARVO) and the ARVO Foundation for Eye Research in 2013 for the work done on WCAG and contrast.

I think going forward we would do better to not throw stones and simply try to figure out what is the best methods with modern colorspaces — look for best evidence -  and then make our new standards in W3

Two things I think are for sure
The display technologies have changes — and so we DO need to update the contrast measures
We need to keep in mind that we are talking about the best measures for  people with low vision,  people with different color vision differences — and people with BOTH.  That will make a lot of the standard research on contrast a bit less useful.   And the type of research we need much rarer.

I ALSO suspect that
We should be looking at studies that involve  'reading text' vs  studies about letter identification or anything image base etc
Color contrast and Contrast are different.    Two colors can contrast with each other  (e.g. a red and a green)  but be identical to someone.   I think we should drop "color contrast"  and just talk about contrast

Best

Thanks
All this will help us as we move forward

gregg

Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@vanderheiden.us