Re: My Thoughts on User content, 3rd party content and conformance

Hey folks,
I was asked to write a summary of this email thread (so far) and pass that
along to the Guidance for policy makers subgroup. I'm sharing this here too
as it might be useful for people who may find long e-mail threads difficult
to follow.

---

When it comes to sites serving up content that wasn't generated by the site
owner (third-party content), there seems to be general agreement that in
some, but not all cases the content creator is primarily responsible for
the accessibility of that content, rather than the site owner.

- Was the content purchased by the site owner?
- Is the site owner selecting which content to publish, or is it a public
forum?
- How is the third-party content frames, and is it altered in some way?
- Does the site owner enable / encourage third-party content providers to
write accessible content?
- When authoring tools are provided to users, do they conform to ATAG?
- Does the site owner check the accessibility of third-party content to
drive improvement?

Some in the thread mention that (some of) these questions are policy
questions, which puts them out of scope for WCAG 3 directly, but useful to
be considered in a guidance document for policy makers.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core & Axe-linter product owner - WCAG 3 Project Manager - Facilitator