Re: [EXT] Re: Are there more effective ways to use this mailing list to engage members & make decisions

Could we involve those who currently have the issues using Github in how this could be addressed?

From: Mike Gifford <mike.gifford@civicactions.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 3, 2023 at 9:01 PM
To: Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com>, WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, Jennifer Strickland <jstrickland@mitre.org>
Cc: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Reading this thread, I wonder if part of the problem is that we’re not writing for the right audience.

Non-technical people should not be introduced to forking, diff’s or even creating repos. To participate in W3C discussions on GitHub, what we would need is clear instructions (possibly written for specific disabilities and assistive technology) that outlines the basics.

Maybe we just need how to:
1. create a GitHub account
2. secure it with two factor authentication
3. navigate to the relevant W3C repositories
4. find the issue queue in the relevant repository
5. read and respond to the comment thread
6. vote or otherwise indicate support or lack-there-of

What else would be needed? Léonie, you mentioned the option of using email as an interface for the issue queues<https://docs.github.com/en/account-and-profile/managing-subscriptions-and-notifications-on-github/setting-up-notifications/configuring-notifications>. Maybe we should explain how they can set that up for those who prefer to use their email client rather than the GitHub site. I get too much email, so likely won’t be moving to this option.

Sure, you can do so much more with GitHub. But you don’t have to do more than this to get value from it.

Having clear documentation, written in plain language for how to engage in GitHub as non-technical users would be really useful for a great many folks and projects (outside the W3C). Non-technical people probably should only touch other elements of GitHub when they have reached a level of comfort with the rest of it. Providing more accessible workarounds for folks who want to edit files is great, for those folks who have built up confidence.

It would also be useful to have some plain language documentation about how we use IRC too.  There are all sorts of shorthands that are used and I’m definitely still learning the process.  Anyways, I’m fine to just observe and jump in where I think I can contribute to something. I think I’m probably more this way than most folks (for better or worse).

Léonie, thanks for your feedback on your experience.

Jennifer, PWETF (the positive work folks) site is up here https://github.com/w3c/PWETF but where is the training? I think I missed this.

Patrick, I probably would have been one of the “rando”’s voting for things I liked. But if we can extract a list of user id’s from GitHub (which should be easy enough), we should just be able to compare them with a list of members. Should be easy to just create a little spreadsheet for those votes where it is close enough that a few new names might throw it one way or another.

Mike

Mike Gifford, Senior Strategist, CivicActions
Drupal Core Accessibility Maintainer
https://civicactions.com<https://civicactions.com/>    |  https://accessibility.civicactions.com

http://twitter.com/mgifford |  http://linkedin.com/in/mgifford