From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2023 5:51 PM
To: WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Focus not obscured notes

Hi everyone,

We spoke briefly about the Focus Not Obscured updates yesterday, and this email is to check for objections prior to CR.

No normative changes are proposed, but two updates to the notes under the SC text are proposed (in PR 3083<https://github.com/w3c/wcag/pull/3083/files>), which are:
Note 1: Where content in a configurable interface can be repositioned by the user, then only the initial positions of user-movable content is considered for testing and conformance of this Success Criterion.

Note 2: Where content disclosed by the user can obscure other content, if the user can reveal the item with focus without moving keyboard focus (for example, by dismissing with Esc), such disclosed content is not considered to fully obscure the item receiving focus.

The understanding document (preview<https://raw.githack.com/w3c/wcag/2751-FocusObscured-movable/understanding/22/focus-not-obscured-minimum.html>) expands on those in two sections in the intent as well.

Overall, the reasons to include these it to make it clear that:

  *   If a user moves palettes around which then obscure focus, that does not fail.
  *   If a user opens something (e.g. a chat window), but the position is not configurable, then there needs to be a method for the user to close it without moving focus.

There is a whole section of examples in the understanding document.

The question is: Does anyone object to that direction / approach?

These are informative, and the understanding doc is easy to update later.

Kind regards,

-Alastair

PS. I've suggested replacing "discloses" with "reveals" in the second note.
Other suggestions welcome, either in the github thread: https://github.com/w3c/wcag/pull/3083/files or in reply to this email.