RE: Focus appearance updates - decorative

That sounds perfect to me. It would also nicely not include animated effects like sparks emitted from a control.

(yes, I was resigned to the comment doing unnoticed)

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2022 11:10 AM
To: Suzanne Taylor <suzanne.taylor@thingsentertainment.net>; WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Focus appearance updates - decorative

Hi Suzanna,

To be honest I almost missed that as it must have been during/after the meeting! For anyone filling in a survey during/after a meeting, it is worth pinging the chairs that you have done so.

I’m not sure about using ‘external’, given that the problem is someone could interpret a “user interface control” to include effects such as drop-shadow. (That has already come up.)

Is a shadow external, or part of the control? How about a border? Or an icon on one side?

I think we all have a similar understanding and know what it should include, it’s just finding the words with the least/least-likely misinterpretations.

How about “Continuously surrounds, bounds or includes the whole of, except for effects that appear to be outside the boundary of the control”

-Alastair

From: Suzanne Taylor

Thanks so much for noticing and attending to my comment. I think the more we can prevent people from having to process the exception, the better.

Current proposal from this email: “Continuously surrounds, bounds or includes the whole of, except for decorative effects such as shadows”

I would replace “decorative” with “external,” because even the internal rounded edges of a button could be interpreted to be decorative.

New proposal: “Continuously surrounds, bounds or includes the whole of, except for external effects such as shadows”

External reflections,  glows, and shadows can be very faint and even invisible to many in the target audience for this guideline. Their far edges might be far away from the UIC and may even overlap each other or be under other components.

From: Alastair Campbell

* …
* Suzanne thought that decorative effects should be ignored for the purpose of the SC.
Most should pass via the exception, however, that is another possibility. We could potentially build that into the definition of encompasses, e.g.:
“Continuously surrounds, bounds or includes the whole of, except for decorative effects such as shadows”