Re: Visual Indicators

While I cannot share proprietary research, I can confirm that I have seen countless examples where text alone – even when a different color of sufficient contrast – is not a sufficient affordance of action. Even navigation links that assert a ‘pattern affordance’ still fail to be recognized or understood.

I could live with a very broad scope.

Additionally, the most likely context of that example Microsoft forum comment is that the underline spanned multiple words and / or lines and was not styled. There are at least 4 CSS properties for styling an underline, including the ability to skip ink (break on descenders) – which is the primary reason I have seen cited for readability issues.

Charles Hall // Senior UX Architect
Invited Expert, W3C Accessibility Guidelines Working Group & Silver Task Force
Chair, W3C Inclusive Design for the Immersive Web Community Group
Learning Ambassador, MRM
Member, Global Diversity Coalition, McCann Worldgroup

(he//him)
W +1.248.203.8723
M +1.248.225.8179
360 W Maple Rd Third Avenue, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm.com<https://www.mrm.com/>

[MRM]

Cannes Network of the Year
Effie's Most Creatively Effective Global Network 2018, 2019
IPG Agency Inclusion Vanguard – Agency of the Year 2019
Adweek 2019 Global Agency of the Year