From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 9:24 AM
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Target definition

> I’m still not clear on what is the actual issue. It is pretty clear from the definition that an interactive area of a UI component is a target.

Yes, but some people don’t think it is clear (enough) that other areas are not a target.

If you take off the example:

“Target: region of the display that will accept a pointer action”

Any area of the display will “accept” a pointer action (e.g. a tap), they just don’t do anything with it. For developers familiar with event-bubbling, this is especially confusing.

The clarity of this becomes more important with the target-spacing SC as we are talking about the target with non-target spacing around it.

I might not be weighing the hassle of errata enough though, it hasn’t been an issue whilst I’ve been a co-chair. In which case please let me know what difficulties that generates!

-Alastair