Re: Testability of Animation from interactions Issue 18

On 14/01/2017 11:57, Detlev Fischer wrote:
> Just reading through this thread - if the main user issue in
> user-initiated animation is really parallax scrolling, can we not
> focus on that - assuming that it will mostly involve the entire
> viewpoint - and demand that it’s either avoided or, when used, there
> are UA, or a11y-supported common browser or site settings available
> that will disable parallax scrolling? Regarding other smaller
> animations, it will be very difficult to define / quantify the type
> of animation and in turn how distracting it may be - on a continuous
> scale from slow / subtle / hardly noticeable and not a problem at
> all, to really annoying. Detlev

I'd say the danger of just saying, to simplify, "don't do parallax
scrolling or provide a mechanism to turn it off" is that it's overly
specific. What if an author, instead of parallax scrolling, does
something else (but equally animated and disruptive, like a big zoom-in
effect or similar)? Then it would pass the SC, but still cause issues.
Keeping the language more general will help cover these scenarios too.

Patrick H. Lauke