Re: Proposal for failure of SC 1.4.5 and 1.4.9

Hi Kerstin,

good point - I've already had the nagging thought that this might be
covered in more general terms by a failure relating to SC 1.1.1. The
proposed failure provides more detail about checking that "the
information is provided to assistive technologies and is also available
when the CSS image is not displayed" (F3). This is not evident when
switching off CSS, it needs inspecton of the CSS itself. What I have
proposed may be considered too technology-specific for a failure but it
is exactly what evalutors would find helpful in checking content hidden
in CSS. Let's discuss it tonight, both usefulness of the failure and, if
useful, the correct place within WCAG SC. It may also just extend the
test in F3.

Regards,
Detlev

Am 17.11.2011 08:57, schrieb Kerstin Probiesch:
> Hi Detlev, WCAG WG,
>
> some cents:
>
> I'm not sure about the associated SCs 1.4.5 and 1.4.9 in the drafted
> failure. An image of text from my perspective is first of all a Non-Text
> content. The SCs 1.4.5 and 1.4.9 deals with Customizable and Essential:
>
> Let's have a look at 1.4.5:
>
> "If the technologies being used can achieve the visual presentation, text is
> used to convey information rather than images of text except for the
> following: (Level AA)
> * Customizable: The image of text can be visually customized to the user's
> requirements;
> * Essential: A particular presentation of text is essential to the
> information being conveyed."
>
> What is essential? In the glossary we find: "if removed, would fundamentally
> change the information or functionality of the content, and information
> _and_ functionality cannot be achieved in another way that would conform."
>
> Image Replacement Techniques are widely used for decorative purposes,
> especially for headings but also for links in navigations. If using an image
> of text the check includes: is this presentation essential or not and is it
> _visually_ customizable. As I see it: the drafted failure stresses not the
> visual presentation but the text alternatives for screenreader users.
> Therefore there might be a conflict with 1.1.1 if the failure would be
> associated with 1.4.5 and 1.4.9. Especially because of the already existing
> F3 for SC 1.1.1: "F3: due to using CSS to include images that convey
> important information." Where we find already the following testing
> procedure: "1. Examine all images added to the content via CSS. 2. Check
> that the images do not convey important information. 3. If an image does
> convey important information, the information is provided to assistive
> technologies and is also available when the CSS image is not displayed."
>
> Regards
>
> Kerstin

Detlev Fischer PhD
DIAS GmbH - Daten, Informationssysteme und Analysen im Sozialen
Geschäftsführung: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp

Telefon: +49-40-43 18 75-25
Mobile: +49-157 7-170 73 84
Fax: +49-40-43 18 75-19
E-Mail: fischer@dias.de

Anschrift: Schulterblatt 36, D-20357 Hamburg
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 58 167
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lilienthal, Michael Zapp