RE: BIG ISSUE -- re Delivery Units

The definition of "authored unit" from Device Independence Glossary [1] is:

"Some set of material created as a single entity by an author. Examples
include a collection of markup, a style sheet, and a media resource, such
as an image or audio clip"

NOTE: "resource" in the previous definition is further defined from [1] as:

"A network data object or service that can be identified by a
URI.  Resources may be available in multiple representations (e.g. multiple
languages, data formats, size, resolutions) or vary in other ways.  This
term was taken verbatim from Hypertext Transfer Protocol - HTTP/1.1."

NOTE: URI in the previous definition is further defined from [1] as:

"A short string that uniquely identifies a resource, such as an HTML
document, an image, a down-loadable file, a service, or an electronic
mailbox. "

(definition of URI and resource seem "circular" in [1], in that each is
defined in terms of the other?)

Are these definitions helpful at all in the context of the current discussion?

Thanks and best wishes
Tim Boland NIST

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/di-gloss/