RE: REwrite of 1.1.6

That's just it, you don't lose access to the descriptions at all, you
just get them out of the way a bit.

Imagine that you have a lecture series available online.  The professor
does demonsrations that require significant description - the
description must detailed enough that the student can understand what is
going on in a complex visual demo, and may even be long enough to
require extended audio descriptions.

A student wants to review the transcripts to locate a video where the
professor discussed some topic.  This search will be substantially
easier if the long description content is separated from the caption
data, but it is still necessary for the student using the descriptions
to access this information.  So, the descriptions live at the bottom of
the page, or on a different page, and the links to the descriptions are
found inline with the caption-transcript.

I'm not recommending that this be the only way to satisfy this
requirement, but that it is as valid as straight intermingling of
captions and descriptions in a transcript and should fit the wording of
1.1.6.

Regarding David's comments:
David: This particular example doesn't provide a way back to the inline
link after you jump to the description. That would require a named
anchor at the point of departure (in the captions) and a link back to
the anchor(point of departure) after the description was read. (kind of
like online footnotes)

Sure. Easy enough to accomplish in several ways.

It's a neat idea and though it might enhance the experience for someone
who wants to ignore the descriptions, it would degrade the experience
for someone who needs both captions and descriptions because they would
continually be jumping back and forth every couple of lines, hitting
keys (or mouse buttons) to follow the links to the descriptions and then
back again to the captions. It would be pretty hard to "get into" the
experience of the script that way. It would be like reading a novel
while continually turning on and off the light.

Part of my thinking is that this is particularly useful for
description-users who are accessing the content multiple times (a course
lecture series that is used as a study reference - the student may
remember the description content but want to review what the professor
actually says, and therefore benefits from not needing to hear the
description every time).

I also think it would require more effort for a web author to do this
technique than just manually pasting in the descriptions in between the
captions.

Perhaps.  If I was going to do this I would generate the files from the
XML data file that contained both the aption and description info.  I'm
not saying that collated text transcripts must be done this way, just
that we shouldn't prohibit it.

Having read a ton of movie scripts in my old life, I think dialogue is
easy to read with all the descriptions in between. I think the current
collation idea is better, unless this example was an option to do in
addition to the collated script.

What's the longest description you've needed to wade through?  That
might be a factor...

AWK