Re: Web authoring statistics by Google

On 1/28/06, Yvette Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl> wrote:
> I came across an interesting statistical analysis of web pages by Google:
> http://code.google.com/webstats/index.html

Not really, no-one knows where the 1 billion pages came from, don't
mistake the large size to be in any way representative.

> * The BR element is used more than the P element, although semantically a P
> should be far more common than a BR.

The conclusion that BR should be far less common than P is not
obvious, it's only true in some situations.

> * Elements like FONT and B are still very popular, just like deprecated
> presentational attributes such as bgcolor etc.. In contrast, class and id
> don't seem to get used much. To me, this indicates that a lot of websites
> still control the presentation from HTML instead of CSS.

Or that the pages in the study were mostly legacy pages written 10
years ago....  The analysis is nearly completely useless for the
conclusions you're assigning to it because we simply know nothing
about the source documents.

Cheers,

Jim.