From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Lisa Seeman
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:04 AM
To: Kerstin Goldsmith; wcag
Subject: Re: programatically determineds

Hi

Let me try and widen this perspective. We must make sure that we do not
discourage the evolution of  better user experiences and techniques. That is
why we need the programmatically determined phrase.
Many screen readers for People with learning disabilities are downloadable
from enabled sites , for free. For elearning material this a great way
forward where typical implementations and well known readers geared to the
blind community fall short of the task of addressing barriers of
understanding.

 For example. For some DAISY (Accessible for the blind and learning
disabled) books we create are "knowledge rich" extended DAISY that are great
for struggling students. We also work closely  with a (smallish) user agent
that  works with our extra knowledge, knows what to do, has alternate
presentations and has the coolest user experience for struggling students.
(My opinion anyway). People can then get the content with the reader
together.

The way forward is, in my opinion beyond what well known AT are doing today,
and beyond the standard techniques. Addressing mainstream adoption of
current accessibility practices is important. But we should not stand in the
way of what we know now to be possible in terms of overcoming barriers and
creating a good user experience for all.

All the best
Lisa Seeman