RE: addition proposal, GL 4.2

I see your issue.  Hmmmm

The problem isnt with PDF or some 'mainstream' technology. The problem is
with plug-ins and applets that are not something that you can assume a
person has.  Or -  in the case of PDF - a plug in where you won't have the
right one.  With PDF - there was the standard plug in - -then there was a
special one that you had to know about or the content wasn't accessible.
(this is no longer true to my understanding).

Baseline doesn't solve it because the user doesn't have the technology.  OR
you have a very limiting situation where the author CANNOT use a technology
because it isn't in the baseline - so they can't depend on it - even if they
will provide it.

But the proposed wording may not work either.  Do we assume that a plug in
must be available for all platforms???

Boy - you raise another interesting question with this cross platform issue.
Do we have to assume that technologies work across platform?  If so how
many?   Must a technology work for windows and mac and linux?   And GO?  And
Symbion?  And ....

Many plug-ins don't.  or the accessible versions are only available on one
platform.   So can one use them in a baseline?

Ouch.

Oh - and the one you suggested also has a problem
A mechanism is available and associated with the content for downloading a
user agent that renders the content in a manner that allows the content to
conform to these guidelines.

This sounds like all pages would need a link to a site to download IE or HPR
or some accessible browser.
Oops- again - for what platforms.

This one just keeps getting harder.

But just tossing it over the side doesn't work I don't think.   Baseline and
UAAG only apply to things that the user can get in advance.  Not to things
that the author requires you to download on the fly.  And especially not to
custom engines for accessing data for presentation.  Applets certainly fall
in this category.   Plug-ins may or may not depending on how 'standard' they
are.   But I routinely hit sites where I need to go get things to view them
- especially the first 3 months after buying a new computer.  And I don't
know where to get accessible versions of things - nor is there any mechanism
for requiring that authors provide them if it is not in the WCAG.

Hmmmmmmm

Loretta, you sure volunteered for a tough one.

Gregg

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.