From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Clark
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 11:35 AM
To: WAI-GL
Subject: Re: Back to business

>  Finally, I would like us to try to practice what we preach. So please

>DO use plain simple language.

Well, *I* don't preach that, and, as a professional writer of 15 years'
standing, I'm not about to let nonwriters tell me how to write.

I'll point out that my esteemed colleagues at WCAG WG can't even write
intelligible guidelines half the time -- *and* you're drowning in your
own jargon. You're hardly in any position to issue edicts.

Examples in one tidy place (excerpted):

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004JulSep/0318.html>

>2. programmatically located, issue 330
>
>We have a number of terms and we need to define them.  One appears to
>be redundant with another as well.
>
>"derived programmatically",
>"programmatically determined",
>"programmatically located" and
>"programmatically identified"
>
>Jason posted one set of definitions that are listed at the end of the
>agenda.  John is working on a version that might be available for the
>meeting.   [1]
>
>3. Definition of authored unit

And as for the recurring plaints to get along nicely: As ever, WCAG WG
prizes fake, vacant smiles over good work. We don't *have* to get along
to produce good guidelines.

--

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post