 From: Joe Clark [mailto:joeclark@joeclark.org]
 Sent: Tue 6/29/2004 6:22 PM
 To: WAI-GL
 Subject: Re: Top-Posting And Guideline 3.1

 > > Enforcing a prohibition on top posting does not
 > > lead to more comprehension.
 >
 > There are many who disagree with you (hi Joe).

 People who don't understand E-mail, maybe. Ignoramuses and arrivistes, in
 other words. Do they count?

 Answers don't come after questions; we already saw the original posting;
 there are *twenty* years of experience of threaded electronic discussions
 using interleaved replies; and, to be frank, people who top-post are
 lazy-arse bastards with crappy mail programs. Why cater to them?

 Clearer now?

 > Have you seen research to back your claim?

 How about the fact that proponents of top-posting can never muster
 anything other than "I like it," "My software does it automatically"
 ("until user agents"?), or "People need it" as justifications. People
 *don't* need it. And there's an enormous range of documentation proving
 why top-posting is harmful.

 <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TrimYourPosts>: Trim Your Posts
 <http://www.xerez.demon.co.uk/usenet.htm>: Usenet Newsgroups
 <http://www.redballoon.net/~snorwood/quote-rant.shtml>: Annoying quoting
 practices rant
 <http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/netiquett.html#TRIM>: Email Netiquette
 Guidance
 <http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post>: All My FAQs Wiki: How to
 post
 <http://www.amk.ca/conceit/mailing-list.html>: A Look at a Mailing List
 <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html>: Bottom vs. top posting
 and quotation style on Usenet
 <http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html>: Why is Bottom-posting better
 than Top-posting
 <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccaughan/g/remarks/uquote.html>: The
 advantages of Usenet's quoting conventions

 If your screen reader can't voice quoted text correctly, get it fixed.
 ("Until user agents"?)  Even Eudora can enunciate quoted text in a
 different voice.

 And the format=flowed spec, which, by curious coincidence, I wrote the FAQ
 for, adds even further structure.
 <http://joeclark.org/ffaq.html>

 It's insane to suggest that learning-disabled persons can understand
 answers that come before questions. How's that gonna work again?

 --

     Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
     Expect criticism if you top-post