RE: text equivalents for multimedia

Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but doesn't SMIL work ONLY with
STREAMING audio formats (i.e, Real G2 and QuickTime)?  Broadcast hosting
services are expensive!  I would wager lunch that the binaries Anne wants to
post are HUGE .wav files that take a longer to download (at dialup speeds)
than they take to play!  If this is the case, links to static text is ALL
she can do!  I hope someone tells me I am wrong about this!