Re: Language info recommendations

> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 nir.dagan@econ.upf.es wrote:

> > I think that both Navigator and Explorer have a menu in the preferences that
> > allows the user to specify priorety in languages for the case alternate
> > documents in several languages exist. I don't know if it works or not.

It works in Netscape, and in the version of MSIE4 that I'm currently
using. And in Lynx, of course, and doubtless in other browsers too.
In earlier versions of MSIE, I wasn't able to find a browser choice
independently of the Windows language configuration.

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> That was what I tried to use, but couldn't get it to work. (I didn't try
> really hard though)

At risk of stating the obvious: the browser only sends the
user choice to the server.  You can check what your browser is
sending by accessing this URL:
http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin/test-env
and looking for a line like this in the environment:

HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en-GB,en,de,fr

It's then up to the server to process this setting in conjunction
with the available document languages, and send the one that best
matches the user request.  Apache, for example, can be configured
to do that.  (This has implications for caching, I should add.)

all the best