Re: TABLES mentioned in style sheet section.

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Chuck Letourneau wrote:

> After reading the rest of Daniel's message, I saw that TABLES came up
> again. Why don't we use this thread to discuss the "required versus
> recommended" status of advising against tables for layout of text wherever
> it appears?

JW:: This should be a required, but long term, recommendation in respect
of HTML authors. It should be a short term recommendation in the authoring
tool guidelines: as soon as the CSS 2 specification is completed,
authoring tools should be expected to implement positioning.

The abuse of table markup is simply wrong in principle, as it is contrary
to the meaning and intention of the HTML. Such practice should be
consistently discouraged, particularly once an alternative, namely CSS
positioning, is widely available.