From: Jutta Treviranus [mailto:jutta.treviranus@utoronto.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 2:15 PM
To: w3c-wai-au@w3.org
Subject: Prompts

Regarding yesterday's teleconference, can people confirm the following:

- we agree that we need to create an errata to change the definition
of "prompt" in the "Glossary of Terms and Definitions" section of the
Guidelines. There are inconsistencies in the definition itself. We
have not decided what the change will be although Phil has proposed
that we change the word "requires" to "requests" in the sentence "A
prompt requires author response."
[hls] -- agree
- we agree that we need to make the meaning of the guideline clear
and explicit in the techniques but we do not have a compelling reason
to change the wording of the guideline itself.
[hls] -- agree
- we agree that prompts should be on an author configurable schedule,
that they should be consistent with the look and feel of the
application and that the author can actively choose to cancel the
prompt.

The issues we need to address are:
1. - does "prompt the author" mean that the software initiates a
request for information at some point in the authoring process that
the author is compelled to respond to or cancel
or
does software comply with the guideline if the request is present and
visible but need not be responded to and could be avoided when
certain authoring strategies are used (Phil's loophole)?
[hls] - I of course agree with the latter, products would comply if they
effectly notify the user that Alt+text is needed.
2. Should the author be able to turn off all prompts in a single step?
[hls] - I don't see how you could prevent this.
We need to clearly distinguish what the additional requirements are
in 3.1 beyond the requirements in guidelines 4 and 5 relative to
equivalent alternative information.

Jutta