RE: skill level

 Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>In fact we are saying "can be used by people regardless of
>disability". This
>has important bearing on the skill level discussion, since we
>do not require
>that a tool be obviously useful to anyone who picks it up.

<snip>

>I'm not sure if that is a good example (or even if CYKM is the right
>collection of letters). Anyone got a better one? I think it
>would make an
>intersting expansion of the wording in the priorities section of the
>techniques document.

When we advertise a new job, we indicate two items of information:

1. What the job entails. things the person is expected to do.
2. What skill set we expect from a candidate to do the job.
Crudely; this amounts to.
	We need this doing
	We want a person capable of doing it.
	We will provide appropriate tools to assist a skilled
	person to do it.
[Note that appropriate needs to be flexible enough here]

Using this as an analogy:

the job description is 'design web pages' or 'design graphics'.
the (expected/required) skill set might be:
  has sufficient knowledge/experience in a relevant area to
  perform such a task using tools appropriate to the persons
  needs.

Charles saying 'should understand what CYKM is'
comes under our expectations area.

Otherwise we end up explaining what windows is, what a computer is.

Likewise in presenting a tool, here (I think) we are saying,
we expect a person using such a tool to have adequate
skills to use it to achieve an end goal. Otherwise we are into
a training arena, where expertise is taught to provide a person
with the skillset to achieve a goal, using appropriate tools.

Could that analogy help?
When a secretary is asked to read and sort the bosses mail,
an appropriate tool might be a letter opener, or
a scanner + text to speech technology. Either way the job
gets done, which is what we wanted.

regards,, DaveP