Re: non english labels/comments for rdf.rdf and rdfs.rdf

At 12:26 31/10/03 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:
>My goal here is to ensure that we have an appropriate document at the end
>of the RDF namespace URI when we go to PR.
>
>Graham Klyne wrote:

(Actually, Patrick wrote this...  I just agreed)

>>>Would it not make more sense to have distinct schemas for
>>>each languages labels. I.e.
>>>
>>>rdf_fr.rdf
>>>rdf_sp.rdf
>>>rdf_ge.rdf
>>>rdf_fi.rdf
>>>etc.
>
>I don't think so.  How would an application find them?

How would an application find *any* new information that appears after the
original schema document is published?  How does one draw the line between
what languages are included and what are not.  These are problems that the
sweb will have to address in any case, probably in numerous ways.

Actually, where Patrick wrote "different schemas", I don't think the
language-neutral schema information should be duplicated -- I read the
comment as suggesting that the separate files have just the alternative
language annotations, and could be read in addition to the primary schema
file.  I would imagine that the various language document would link back
to the original schema in some way (<> rdfs:augments <SchemaURI>?) so that
semantic web crawlers would be able to build appropriate indexes.

(I don't feel strongly either way about the original suggestion, unless
this is likely to delay publication while we wait for the appropriate
language text to be available.)

#g

Graham Klyne
For email: