Re: RDF lists

At 04:59 PM 9/20/02 +0200, Jos De_Roo wrote:

> >>Pat, I think I'm fine with that
> >>
> >>how can we express that
> >>when given
> >>   _:l1 rdf:first :a .
> >>   _:l1 rdf:rest :b .
> >>
> >>   _:l2 rdf:first :a .
> >>   _:l2 rdf:rest :b .
> >>
> >>then _:l1 and _:l2 are tidy
> >
> >Er...you can't. That is, there could be two lists with the same members.
>
>thus far I thought that 2 sequences with the same members
>*are* the same sequence (i.e. the denoted thing is the same)
>how could they ever be different, I mean semantically?

I think that even though they may be different lists (containing different
graph nodes), if IR is closed under list construction and the given
semantics for rdf:first, rdf:rest then each must entail the other -- by
virtue always being true.

Tricker, I think, is how one gets the expected entailments when a list is
related to some other entity -- I guess the OWL folks will have to sort
that one.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>