Re: Literals: language and xml (was: Comments on new datatyping document, part 1)

I see your point.

And for that matter, I could happily see XML literals being
datatyped, with complex types, leaving it up to the semantics
of the complex datatype to specify the nature of its value
space (what's actually in there) and the L2V mapping.

I've been thinking along the lines that the value space for
a complex datatype would be the set of valid infosets which
conform to the content model of the complex type, and the
L2V mapping being the mapping from XML serializations of those
infosets to the infosets themselves.

But whether we say anything along those lines or not, I would
be happy removing the current restriction (presumed, though
not explicitly stated) in Part 1 to allow explicitly datatyped
XML literals.

Thus, this would remove the odd treatment of the XML flag,
and simply mean that only the unicode string portion of the
literal, regardless of the other two components, participates
in datatyping.

Eh?

Patrick

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 50) 483 9453, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]