Re: quick question/request about syntax wdraft

dehora wrote:

> > Brian McBride:
> >
> > Bill de hÓra wrote:
> > [...]
> > > 1: changing them to this:
> > >
> > > 6.32 parseLiteral " rdf:parseType=\"rdf:Literal\""
> > > 6.33 parseResource " rdf:parseType=\"rdf:Resource\""
> >
> > You seem to be proposing a change to the language.  Do
> > you have compelling reasons for making this change?
>
> Brian, I would say that this was proposed syntax change: it sounds less
> dramatic ;)

Didn't mean to sound dramatic.  I suppose I'm looking at the charter
and dragging my feet again.

Personally, I'm sympathetic to this change.  However, I'm not sure
there is a problem here we need to fix.  What difference would it make
if we did nothing?

> But in the light of the some M&S assertions which are not so
> clear in concert:
>
> [[[
> Other values of parseType are reserved for future specification by RDF.
> ]]]
>
> [[[
> The parseType attribute should have one of the values 'Literal' or
> 'Resource'.
> ]]]
>
> [[[
> With RDF 1.0 other values must be treated as identical to 'Literal'.
> ]]]
>
> the acknowledgement in the M&S:
>
> [[[
> The RDF Model and Syntax Working Group acknowledges that the
> parseType='Literal' mechanism is a minimum-level solution to the
> requirement to express an RDF statement with a value that has XML
> markup. Additional complexities of XML such as canonicalization of
> whitespace are not yet well defined. Future work of the W3C is expected
> to resolve such issues in a uniform manner for all applications based on
> XML. Future versions of RDF will inherit this work and may extend it as
> we gain insight from further application experience.
> ]]]

What is unclear exactly?

Are we comfortable that an existing processor encountering
rdf:parseType="rdf:Resource" will treat it as rdf:parseType="Literal"?

Brian