Re: #rdfms-xmllang

At 11:40 AM 7/11/01 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:
>FYI, the following can be found in section 6 of M&S:
>
>   The xml:lang attribute may be used as defined by [XML] to associate a
>   language with the property value. There is no specific data model
>   representation for xml:lang (i.e., it adds no triples to the data model);
>   the language of a literal is considered by RDF to be a part of the
> literal.
>   An application may ignore language tagging of a string. All RDF
> applications
>   must specify whether or not language tagging in literals is significant;
>   that is, whether or not language is considered when performing string
>   matching or other processing.
>
>at
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Jun/att-0021/00-part#221

FWIW, I think this is broken and will require some kind of fix (as opposed
to clarification).  I'm agnostic about the nature of the fix.

The reason I think it is broken is that I think that RDF applications
cannot be required to operate on anything other than that which appears in
the "data model".  Thus, I think that if xml:lang MAY be significant then
it MUST appear in the "data model".

#g

                                 <http://www.baltimore.com>