Re: W3C site redesign accessibility review

On 3 Sep 2009, at 9:38 AM, David Dorward wrote:

> On 3 Sep 2009, at 15:19, Shawn Henry wrote:
>> W3C is redesigning our website and the redesign team recently
>> posted an updated beta version at:
>> http://beta.w3.org
>

> Having a skip to content link *after* the top and left navigation
> seems pretty useless.

We've used tabindex. It's the first link you get to when you tab. So
although it's not first in document
order, it should be easy to reach.

> I found the text starting "The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) is an
> international community that develops standards to…" uncomfortable
> to real. Possibly too small / low contrast.

Ok.

> I don't see a lang attribute when the content switches to Chinese
> (for an event name)… and linking to an English document with Chinese
> link text in the middle of another English document feels weird.

I'll have a look.

> The links to Twitter and Identica are both images, with white
> backgrounds on a white background. The default link border has been
> removed with CSS. It is not clear that they are separate links.

I'll have a look.

> The design of the Permalink icon suggests that the link will open in
> a new window.

Hmm, I didn't think that but ok.

> The term "Permalink" is jargon and should be avoided.

> transient on the current URI (e.g. when showing the most recent
> entries from a blog). The left navigation should not be transient.
> Also, all but the first news item is just a plain link with no
> following content, so shouldn't be marked as permalinks.

Good point. We use the same image for both real permalinks and simply
to note that some headers
are also links.

Thank you for the comments!

  _ Ian