Re: Character entities.

Lavinia Hyde wrote:

> Many thanks for your reply.  The URL is:-
> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/sgml/entities
>
> Ideally I would like to be able to scan the page for, e.g. a pound sign,
> and find the &#code beside it.

I agree that would be a handy resource; one finds this in the Unicode
specification,
for example.

I was one of the editors of that specification. We debated the
question of including "live" markup in the spec that would
be rendered in people's browsers. In the end, we chose not to,
because we were concerned that the rendering might be construed
as being normative. Renderings of character entities may have
been less "riskey" than renderings of tables or other
markup (for which there is no predefined rendering).

The type of page you describe should be part of an HTML test suite.
Anybody know of a good one?

 _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447