Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

18 Oct 2017

See also: IRC log


MichaelC, scott_h


Accessibility of Virtual Reality - research synopsis

<scribe> scribe: janina

jgw: Added a para re physical movement as per our call last week
... i.e. some users may be unable to make certain movements

sh: Looks great!
... Found some lit re movement in gaming, but not vr specifically
... Can followup by next call

jgw: Seems we're generally OK with this draft, so can move forward
... We need to think how our findings can inform authoring as that's the Workshop focus
... We believe tooling may be unavailable for a11y support, so too much coding required
... Asking how we should address authoring?

sh: Perhaps first get Shadi's feedback?

jb: He'll be in Cambridge next week, so I can prepare him

jgw: tooling -- libraries, etc

<jasonjgw> Janina queries whether it's generally true that VR needs specialist tooling than other applications do for development. If this is the case, there are probably efforts in this direction and we need to inject accessibility support into those discussions.

jgw: Recalls APA meeting wanted to focus on supporting hw

<jasonjgw> Janina: there's less customization and greater out of the box support for accessibility if it's introduced into the tooling/infrastructure. Some author knowledge is still required, but it's reduced.

<jasonjgw> Janina: if the focus of the workshop is on authoring, waht appraoches and cobminations thereof will be the focus?

jb: Still trying to reconnect the person met at a conference who's already focussed on a11y in vr
... Seemed his company may have their own
... Believe Dom most interested in meeting with developers
... Seems it's platform by platform

jgw: Which would make it more difficult

sh: Any work on how a screen reader would work in a vr environment
... Wondering about any work for consistent AT implementation in VR

<jasonjgw> Janina notes systems whereby metadata are preserved about the location of a sound (e.g., for up to 128 objects). With sufficiently many speakers, objects can be moved around the listener in 3D space.

<jasonjgw> Janina notes a VR status report in the current issue of Sound and Vision Magazine, which is also addressing the 3D audio technologies.

<jasonjgw> Judy is generally satisfied with the VR research synopsis, noting formatting issues in the References section.

<jasonjgw> Janina: implementations of 3D audio are now widely available, greatly increasing the number of speakers used in the hardware configuration.

<jasonjgw> Janina: the Sound and Vision review identifies issues with lag in VR systems and recent improvements in this regard.

jgw: Recalls reach constraint discussion from APA VR call

sh: Notes great work on the VR writeup

Task Force updates - TPAC meetings, Web authentication specification, etc.

jgw: Reviewed authentication spec
... provides an api supporting creation of new identities
... So web app need not concern about authentication, it's all client side using pub key crypto
... Notes it's a complex api with considerable change since earlier review
... Requires unique identifier for authentication module/device, server can identify device type, hw, etc
... May be specific scenarios requiring certain kinds of devices that could impede a11y
... Might this require a W3C note? WCAG coverage?

<jasonjgw> Janina: the outcome of APA discussions last year suggested that the accessibility issues are most pertinent at the next layer - where devices and their characteristics are discussed.

sh: Offering to look for lit
... re WoT ...
... Progress--MAY, emphasis, MAY have late week
... Possibly could do update for the group soon

jgw: If you ping, I can add to agenda

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/10/18 13:57:06 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: MichaelC, scott_h
Present: MichaelC scott_h

WARNING: Fewer than 3 people found for Present list!

Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 18 Oct 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/10/18-rqtf-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]