Efficient XML Interchange Working Group Teleconference

13 Sep 2016

See also: IRC log




<scribe> scribe: TK

<scribe> scribeNick: taki

DP: How Liam and Carine can support us in promoting EXI in W3C at large.
... We should find a way how to move on...
... Not only technical side.

DB: Working group strategy?

DP: Right. Support from people outside the group.

DB: Commucating our progress.

DP: Make people aware what we are doing and what we have achieved.

<brutzman> Also an opportunity to ask W3C for support where that can help, inviting further member participation, etc.

DP: Let's discuss with Liam first, and first get his opinion on how we progressed.

<brutzman> How to best have this dialog? maybe we should prepare a presentation that summarizes progress and plans

DP: We will want to chat with Liam at TPAC.

<brutzman> https://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/

<brutzman> https://www.w3.org/2016/09/TPAC/schedule.html looks like you have the room all day Monday-Tuesday

<brutzman> 8 hours difference between California and Lisbon time zones

<brutzman> best times for me are Tuesday 1400 or 1300, Lisbon time

<brutzman> ... otherwise I am committed with presentations at local conferences

<brutzman> i can also try earlier on Tuesday - might not be fully awake though!

CB: At TPAC, W3C will announce organizational changes.
... will abandon domains.
... Chairs can also talk to other chairs.

DP: TPAC is usually a good way to talk to people.
... Is there going to be reports in AC meetings from each domain lead?

CB: But there is no domain any more.
... We will have Project management, strategy management, etc.
... I saw domains as barriers between groups.
... Membership has to become more vocal.

<caribou> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2016/SessionIdeas

TK: Let's ask Liam if he is available Tuesday afternoon to sit down with us for talk, and DB will be able to remotely dial-in.

Canonical EXI

TK: Thank you Carine for making the style change.
... I plan to do the final review before TPAC.

DP: Then, we can make publication decision during TPAC, right?

TK: That is a good idea.

<liam> [i believe i'll be available on Tuesday afternoon, or can be]

JavaScript support

DP: Ben provided a page that converts JavaScript into JSON.
... The generated JSON is verbose.

<dape> json schema for Esprima AST, https://github.com/toyatech/esschema

<dape> https://github.com/toyatech/esschema/blob/master/esschema.json

DP: JSON schema shown in this page is not up-to-date.

<brutzman_> i agree that this is very significant for us. for some time it seemed like Javascript compression was out of reach... however that work maps arbitrary Javascript -> JSON by expressing the output of a compiler parse tree

<brutzman_> Of related interest: Brendan Eich (initial developer of Javascript) blog, From ASM.JS to WebAssembly https://brendaneich.com/2015/06/from-asm-js-to-webassembly/

<brutzman_> ... Don McGregor was showing me that yesterday

<brutzman_> if nothing else, we can conclude at this point that compression of Javascript is an important topic to continue considering

<brutzman_> Web Assembly Community Group https://www.w3.org/community/webassembly/

<brutzman_> "The mission of this group is to promote early-stage cross-browser collaboration on a new, portable, size- and load-time-efficient format suitable for compilation to the web." (661 participants)

<brutzman_> just posted an initial draft - Candidate topics for EXI strategy summary at TPAC https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-exi-wg/2016Sep/thread.html

<brutzman_> of note: significant progress 2016, OWP strategy is clearly achievable in coming year, and pursuit of XML Security strategy is now actionable

<brutzman_> also of note: WoT support also possible, if we start measuring performance and power savings it may become quite significant

DP: I am more concerned with how to make us more visible.


<brutzman_> issue: EXI remains a well-kept secret, major progress is occurring despite minimal participation by members and public.

<trackbot> Created ISSUE-119 - Exi remains a well-kept secret, major progress is occurring despite minimal participation by members and public.. Please complete additional details at <https://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/exi/issues/119/edit>.

<brutzman_> oops! didn't intentionally create that issue, but maybe it is a good idea anyway 8)

TK: We can make a progress on action action-729
... We can discuss how to finalize EXI4JSON work.

<brutzman_> candidate rename issue 119, Publicizing EXI capabilities and opportunities

<brutzman_> ... or we can delete it

<brutzman_> ... but if we keep it, we can say "oh right, telling everyone about EXI was an accident" 8)

<brutzman_> ... but we did it anyway 8)

<brutzman_> i updated issue 119, we can look at it again next time. https://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/exi/issues/119

DP: Outreach is an important topic at TPAC.
... For example, measurement document.

<brutzman_> colleagues: how would you like this prepared for TPAC? might a brief slideset help?

<brutzman_> feel free to call me for TPAC session, my cell phone will be nearby. dreaming of EXI! :)

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/09/13 15:30:47 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/intentionlly/intentionally/
Found Scribe: TK
Found ScribeNick: taki

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: CB DB DP TK brutzman brutzman_ caribou colleagues dape exi https issue joined liam scribeNick trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Found Date: 13 Sep 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/09/13-exi-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]